Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thanks!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Lawyer's SIG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yvilla
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thank you Adam, for setting up this SIG!

I'm going to start us off by copying here the contents of the initial thread:

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:14 pm Post subject: Are there enough lawyer-tablet PC users here...?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've happily watched this forum grow from just a few Tablet PC in general threads to now having hardware specific and even some "vertical" specific threads, ie, the medical and construction ones. Its great!

What I'd like to know is if there are enough lawyers here to get a legal industry thread going. It would be nice to be able to share ideas and uses of the Tablet that meet our specific needs.

For example, for now I'm using Journal for all my work-related note taking, but am eagerly anticipating OneNote, for its tabbed interface promises to be great for legal research note taking, and maybe even for taking notes of testimony from various witnesses in a particular case at trials or hearings. Maybe there are other ideas out there for legal-specific software that could be developed or upgraded with the Tablet PC functionality implemented?

digital-doc
Tableteer

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:19 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/casestudies/CaseStudy.asp?CaseStudyID=13516

I would imagine using the Journal as a "legal pad," would have huge advantages when searching for information with 20 + pages of legal notes.

Mordred
Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:55 pm Post subject: Reply to yvilla

yvilla:

Highly interested in discussing Tablet PC for lawyers - I'll compose my thoughts and get back here with them soon.

Ken

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:21 am Post subject:

Yvilla,

I have to confess that I don?t yet have a tablet, so much of what I have to say about them may be just so much fluff. But I?m anxiously awaiting the NEC tablet, and I?d be interested in the practical uses to which you?ve put your tablet as a lawyer.

About 10 years ago, during the first ?pen computing? craze (AT&T's EO, Apple's Newton, GO Corp.'s Penpoint, etc.), I wrote an article for Pen Magazine speculating on how lawyers might use pen computers. My current thoughts remain pretty much the same as then: as a portable document access and creation tool that would dovetail nicely with the way lawyers work. As you are well aware (but we don?t necessarily want everyone else to know), many of the documents we create are form documents. We plug in client names, standard phrases, maybe selections from other documents or from depositions. Pretty much cut and paste work. But in so many ways, our productivity becomes sluggish when we?re away from our desktops. What was not really available then, but is now available big time, is portability of documents. They can be stored on even modest-size current hard drives (the 20GB of the NEC, to me, seems huge in relation to the 50 ? 100 MB of documents I might use in a given day, or even week). They can be emailed, and with Wi-Fi?s explosive growth, this will soon become so easily and routinely available ? at least in the places where lawyers are likely to work ? that our productivity away from our desks can rocket. And they can be created now wherever one happens to be, although - with a laptop - this can be slow and cumbersome.

Having our tools and documents available right now in a compact and hand-held machine, wherever we are, could make so much of what we do a relative breeze. Some of the capabilities I?m looking for are:

? On the fly entry of billable hours (versus having to remember what you did, and for how long, for entry later at the office);
? Portable access to court rules, statutes and regulations;
? Portable access to office calendar, docket and ticklers;
? Portable access to contact information;
? Portable email access on a screen large enough for ease of reading, with reliable connection;
? Portable access to case information such as briefs, memos and motions filed (by whatever party;
? Portable Westlaw access;
? Ability to draft agreements and obtain signatures remotely from the office;
? Ability to hand-write documents (letters, memos, etc.) and email them to a secretary for drafting back at the office;
? Ability to create documents remotely from the office using menus, pick lists, etc. that pull in standard phrases;
? An unobtrusive form factor that will not be off-putting to judges, deponents, juries, etc.;
? A tablet light and thin enough to carry comfortably;
? A tablet streamlined for indoor use (i.e., need not be ruggedized or usable in sunlight);
? A tablet with only the minimum functions necessary to facilitate the above, in the hope that such minimalism will contribute to the slim, light form factor, and battery life.

In other words, a legal pad that does wonders.

I've handled the Toshiba and the Compaq tablets, and I was not impressed. I owned the Clio a few years ago, and I did not think that these machines represented that much of an improvement, other than a better OS. Still too heavy, too thick, too much of that unpleasant feeling of writing on glass - for my taste, at least.

My perhaps jaundiced view is that handwriting recognition is a chimera not worth putting much energy into. For what we do, I think ink is sufficient, because so much of what we do is simply plugging in standard text. And accessing text. I hate to say it, but I think Microsoft has a real insight with its idea that we should just get over it when it comes to recognition. But let's take that idea of less is more further: I think we should stop thinking of tablets as do-it-all machines, but instead simply as portable document accessors - whether that document be a memo or email you want to read, or a standard phase or clause you want to insert.

These are some of the reasons why I think the design concepts of the NEC tablet are worth enthusing about. It doesn't try to do it all, and that's its virtue. My analogy is simpy that laptop itself: the laptop has always been a lesser sibling of the desktop (although the two seem to get less and less unlike all the time), but its portability has trumped most of its perceived inadequacies compared to the desktop. I guess my real gripe about people who want convertibles is that I fear that that mentality will slow down rapid development of the slate form factor. I wish people could be persuaded to let go of keyboard-entry capability so that the focus could be on document access more than document creation, while one is in portable mode. There is usually time later to revise and finalize a document, but the real need - and the one that deserves the most effort - is speed of information access and immediate availability of communciation tools.

Enough of my ranting. I would appreciate it if you'd comment on how you use your tablet, and particularly whether you think convertability is a plus for lawyers, or an impediment - as I do.

Ken

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:22 am Post subject:

Yikes - those question marks were supposed to be bullet points!
Ticklz
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: I know your problem! Reply with quote

Your using Time Matters aren't you !
digital-doc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: High Tech Barrister Reply with quote

http://newstribune.com/stories/021503/sta_0215030923.asp

Keep an eye on this talented Physician/Attorney/Politiican/Techy.

If he doesn't have a TabletPC you can bet he will!

And the best part is........... he is a Republican! Wink

[url=http://www.digital-doc.com/C2/EMR.htm]TabletPCs in a Medical Environment[/url]

"Good software makes us think, good hardware and software, changes our lives."
mweisslaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: tablets for lawyers Reply with quote

When it comes to new techology, I always seem to want it - although often struggling with the "can I actually wait until Gen 2 comes out?" I have primarily an insurance defense practice. I have always had a notebook computer and found them to be instrumental (even when I have a desktop).

When the Clio came out, I was interested. I wanted something that would boot up quick, have a good keyboard and allow me to do my work at home, on the road and yes, even on vacation (the wife loved that part!).

I liked the Clio C-1050 and used it a fair amount. Problem with it was the screen was not bright enough all the time, had a slow connection so Lexis / Westlaw research was not an easy venture (during the days of dial-up) - in fact checking my e-mail was often a challenge and you really could not use it a full fledge notebook (hence, its description as a pc companion). It was a good tool - but I ended up back with a notebook as I needed something more powerful.

Since the tablets came out, of course, I was interested. I have been sitting on the fence trying to decide if I will by the Compaq now, wait a month or so to see what the new model has or simply get an IBM x series notebook and ditch the idea of a tablet. On the surface, the tablets seem to have made up for the problems that I noticed with the Clio.

One of the most facsinating tools with the tablet pc seems to be the ability to make my notes (in the Windows Journal) on a document that my opponent created. When I receive mail (letters, briefs, etc., - it is scanned in (usually as .pdf) - I am presuming that I can simply copy that file to the tablet and make my handwritten notes on the brief. Rather than simply writing on the hard copy, I can do it electronically and then work off of that for my reply.

I am still sitting on the fence, but would love to know what other lawyers are doing with the tablets and if they really are the right step. I would anticpate using the tablet as I do my notebook, writing briefs, letters, memos, online research at home (presuming that the wireless connection extends far enough) and doing power points presentations for the seminars that I give.

If anyone has any experiences with the tablet pcs, I would appreciate hearing about it - the good and the bad.

Thanks
digital-doc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: tablets for lawyers Reply with quote

[quote="mweisslaw"]When it comes to new techology, I always seem to want it - although often struggling with the "can I actually wait until Gen 2 comes out?" I have primarily an insurance defense practice. I have always had a notebook computer and found them to be instrumental (even when I have a desktop).

When the Clio came out, I was interested. I wanted something that would boot up quick, have a good keyboard and allow me to do my work at home, on the road and yes, even on vacation (the wife loved that part!).

I liked the Clio C-1050 and used it a fair amount. Problem with it was the screen was not bright enough all the time, had a slow connection so Lexis / Westlaw research was not an easy venture (during the days of dial-up) - in fact checking my e-mail was often a challenge and you really could not use it a full fledge notebook (hence, its description as a pc companion). It was a good tool - but I ended up back with a notebook as I needed something more powerful.

Since the tablets came out, of course, I was interested. I have been sitting on the fence trying to decide if I will by the Compaq now, wait a month or so to see what the new model has or simply get an IBM x series notebook and ditch the idea of a tablet. On the surface, the tablets seem to have made up for the problems that I noticed with the Clio.

One of the most facsinating tools with the tablet pc seems to be the ability to make my notes (in the Windows Journal) on a document that my opponent created. When I receive mail (letters, briefs, etc., - it is scanned in (usually as .pdf) - I am presuming that I can simply copy that file to the tablet and make my handwritten notes on the brief. Rather than simply writing on the hard copy, I can do it electronically and then work off of that for my reply.

I am still sitting on the fence, but would love to know what other lawyers are doing with the tablets and if they really are the right step. I would anticpate using the tablet as I do my notebook, writing briefs, letters, memos, online research at home (presuming that the wireless connection extends far enough) and doing power points presentations for the seminars that I give.

If anyone has any experiences with the tablet pcs, I would appreciate hearing about it - the good and the bad.

Thanks[/quote]

I am not an attorney but I deal with attorneys every day. My experience with attorneys with respect to fiduciary responsibility and communication and negotiation in general is "That which is written, rules." With the tabletpc, and your other skills, you have that which is written at your beckon call. Not only on your Tablet's hard drive but on world wide net. Most attorneys, like doctors are not tech savvy. You will scare the bazeebeez out of your opponent if you show up with a tabletpc. As you know, negotiation is everything and you can be one up with a Tabletpc! (Did you say you had a wireless Access Point and in your car;-)

Cool

[url=http://www.digital-doc.com/C2/EMR.htm]TabletPCs in a Medical Environment[/url]

"Good software makes us think, good hardware and software, changes our lives."
yvilla
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mweisslaw,

My practice--criminal defense-- is quite different than yours, so my uses of my Motion may well be different than your use of a Tablet, but overall I'd say yes, get a Tablet, you'll never look back!

I use my Motion quite extensively for handwritten legal research notes; I'll be on Westlaw on the office desktop, and use my Tablet instead of a yellow pad. I'm developing quite a database of searchable law, organized my way, for much easier retrieval later than my old system of filing away pages and pages of research on given areas of law. I do transcript summaries on it too.

Do you record depositions? OneNote is designed to let you record something with your Tablet, and if you also take handwritten notes as you are recording, you can later click on a word in your notes, and be immediately taken to that point in the recording. I would imagine that would be an incredibly useful feature. I just haven't had the need to use it yet.

Here's a long, but really informative thread on the tremendous usefulness of Tablets for people in various occupations; it may give you some other good ideas on how you could benefit from making the move to a Tablet:

http://tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1237&SearchTerms=work,office
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Lawyer's SIG All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: