Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fujitsu questions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Fujitsu
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe G.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Fujitsu questions Reply with quote

For anyone out there with experience with the Fujitsu:

1. How is the "viewing angle"? Do you need to be in just the right position to see the screen well, as I have experienced testing an Acer? How is the "glare" factor in rooms with overhead fluorescent lights? (I find this to be a problem with the Acer).

2. How easy is it to put into/take out of the docking station? Is this something that can be practically done FAST, on the fly, in a busy doctor's office? Goal: to use the tablet in the room for viewing medical records, writing quick notes on "sticky notes"; then going to the docking station for heavy duty note writing with use of keyboard and microphone (as below).

3. Does the USB port system on the docking station work well? (I imagine it would). My goal is to have a headset microphone hooked into the docking station, which would allow me to carry the tablet into and out of patient rooms, but then be able to quickly dock the tablet for use of Dragon voice recognition. (This may be easier than plugging the microphone into the USB port of the Tablet itself every time I want to dictate, which I find cumbersome on the Acer Taqblet I am currently using. Too much fiddling with wires!)

4. Any experience with the various options of carrying cases for bringing on the road? I need to bring the tablet to the hospital for writing notes. Does the one shown on the website that has the keyboard section set up so that it looks almost like a laptop work well?

5. Lastly, any rumors out there about the next version? Is it worth it to wait another month (or will it be a long while) for a speedier model? (Banias, etc.)

Thanks.

Joe
analogueman
Tableteer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Fujitsu Questions Reply with quote

1. The viewing angle of the screen is on par with most standard notebooks. I don't find ambient glare to be a problem on this device.

Can't answer any questions on the docking station, as I don't have one.

If ya want a Tablet, go for it now. The next generation of models might be a while off yet, and ya won't look as cool this time next year when everyone else has one too...
JohnR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Fujitsu Reply with quote

I've had mine for 6 days and can answer some of your questions

1. Overhead glare was a problem only once. It is worse with the screen protector. It would be nice if they developed an antigalre screen protector.

2. It is a breeze. There is a safety button to press and a lever to slide. The lever moves the latching and connection plug in and out of the tablet. It takes less than 1 second to dock or undock.

3. I have the Dock with the DVD rom CD-RW. I have a printer and a USB mouse connected along with a spare monitor. They all work great. Question: Have you tried the native tablet pc speech recognition? I like it better than Dragon 4.0.

4. I got the Bump case as all others were out of stock. I saw the Leather case demoed and will get one when they are restocked. My main preference though is to use it without a case.

5. I am hearing 2nd quarter 2003. I am waiting to see the one with the 14 inch screen. I need to switch to my reading glasses to use the 10.4 inch screen which is why I use a monitor on my dock.

John
Taranis
Tableteer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a tablet yet, but I thought I would speak to your problem with dictation.

Jabra makes a wireless earpiece/microphone that works great. It is technically designed for cellphones. I use it on my PC. The nice thing is that it uses Bluetooth, so you could be a good distance (i.e. across the exam room) from the actual tablet and still dictate to it.

What you would need is a PCMCIA Bluetooth card (about $150) and the Jabra FreeSpeak Bluetooth (http://www.jabra.com/products/FreeSpeak_Bluetooth.htm). You then put the card in the tablet and the FreeSpeak in your ear. It is small, light, and the quality is quite good. This way, you could keep the earpiece in your pocket or on your ear and not fiddle with wires or putting on a large headset.

The oppportunities with a setup like this are pretty endless, it seems to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
digital-doc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>Jabra makes a wireless earpiece/microphone that works great. It is technically designed for cellphones. I use it on my PC. The nice thing is that it uses Bluetooth<<

Thanks for the tip!

That is a compelling use of Blue Tooth and another reason to include BT in the native architecture of the Tabletpc.

How does the BT headpiece compare to a plug in mike on your PC with respect to the lag time of the text showing on your screen?

[url=http://www.digital-doc.com/C2/EMR.htm]TabletPCs in a Medical Environment[/url]

"Good software makes us think, good hardware and software, changes our lives."
Taranis
Tableteer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="digital-doc"]How does the BT headpiece compare to a plug in mike on your PC with respect to the lag time of the text showing on your screen?[/quote] I haven't noticed much lag time, but my use of voice recognition software is extremely sporadic. I use mostly for the phone calls that are routed through my PC and for multiplayer games. Frankly, I have never noticed any lag at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
August

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Dragon 4 vs. Dragon 7 Reply with quote

Laughing

It doesn't surprise me that you enjoy the native voice recognition better than a rather old version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

However, version 7 of Dragon NaturallySpeaking really shines on my tablet PC.

You might wish to read more about Dragon NaturallySpeaking and Table PCs at:

http://www.voicerecognition.com/forums/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000999.html
or
http://www.voicerecognition.com/forums/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000685.html

Yours,
August
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Fujitsu All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: