Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

special ed and graphic comm skills

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Education SIG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romy
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: special ed and graphic comm skills Reply with quote

Our son has multiple learning disabilities. He is almost ten years old. I bought a Gateway tablet PC this month (I am a technology instructor, Graphics) and have been using it with him, as well. I loaded Corel's Grafigo on the tablet and within minutes he figured out how to use the shapes palette, how to trace over objects, change the pen colors, etc. Granted, this child has had a _lot_ of time on both Macs and PCs at home, due to my field of work and the software/equipment I own; but I was truly impressed with what he was able to do in a very short time, and with minimal instruction. He can now open the program; set it for the prefs he wants; draw and write his name; and make a new file as needed.

This is a very _empowering_ experience for a kid who has limited academic success by the "usual" standards. For years now, I have believed that technology would supplement his low communications skills, and that perhaps the text-to-speech function would enable him to "speak" intelligibly to others.

For me, the software was a perfect combination of intuitive flexibility and obvious usefulness.
ChrisD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thank you for posting about your son's use of the Gateway Tablet PC.

I think it's very important for all of us to realize that new technology performing simple functions does more than just makes our lives easier. It also empowers others to do things they never could do before. Clearly anything we can do to help others learn will help them in society in the future.

Again, thank you for the inspiring comments.
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com
http://www.pocketpctalk.com
http://www.mobilitytalk.com
digital-doc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: special ed and graphic comm skills Reply with quote

[quote="romy"]Our son has multiple learning disabilities. He is almost ten years old. I bought a Gateway tablet PC this month (I am a technology instructor, Graphics) and have been using it with him, as well. I loaded Corel's Grafigo on the tablet and within minutes he figured out how to use the shapes palette, how to trace over objects, change the pen colors, etc. Granted, this child has had a _lot_ of time on both Macs and PCs at home, due to my field of work and the software/equipment I own; but I was truly impressed with what he was able to do in a very short time, and with minimal instruction. He can now open the program; set it for the prefs he wants; draw and write his name; and make a new file as needed.

This is a very _empowering_ experience for a kid who has limited academic success by the "usual" standards. For years now, I have believed that technology would supplement his low communications skills, and that perhaps the text-to-speech function would enable him to "speak" intelligibly to others.

For me, the software was a perfect combination of intuitive flexibility and obvious usefulness.[/quote]

That is a very moving testimony and probably the genesis of good things to come!

[url=http://www.digital-doc.com/C2/EMR.htm]TabletPCs in a Medical Environment[/url]

"Good software makes us think, good hardware and software, changes our lives."
Paul Legomski

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Thank you very much Reply with quote

Romy,

I was the lead designer for Corel Grafigo v1.0, a small project that I enjoyed very much. Hearing a story like yours moves me, especially in an industry where a primary focus is often production. It's all too easy to lose sight of why we are doing these things in the first place.

Thank you very much for sharing, Romy. Your story has made it all worthwhile.

Paul Legomski | User Experience Designer
Corel Corporation | New Ventures Design Group
paul.legomski@corel.com | 613.728.0826
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Education SIG All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: