Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EMR's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Physician's SIG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

I hope it works well with your product. It looks good if you can get enough hardware to get pt input, the only other problem is that it may generate more Data that can be handled in one visit, but they may have refined it since a last saw it demoed. Let us know when your product can be demoed.

Ken,

I went to the Compukid website and saw your testimonial there. Like you said it looks good as far as completeness, but the screen shots Look like applications using Unix or DOS programs. When you print out a report does it look like that type style? I have seen other programs that are complete with info when printed but so clunky that it is difficult to read. A local allergist uses something as described above, but if it works for her it is OK,and I heard that some programing language is superior for Networking and Database uses. How would you describe the output if you would have to print some medical records?

Thanks,

Mark
mitodad
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: output Reply with quote

mark,

output is standard hp II courier font. printouts are great! no longer fill in school/camp forms, and it takes all of about 10 seconds to print out immunizations!

if really want to see what it's like, then contact danny at dmf@compukid.com

think you'll be impressed.

ken
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
drjohnf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: tablet pc and EMR's Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I've been interested in using a Tablet PC in practice for some time.

I recently acquired a Compaq TC1000.

Most of the EMR's I've tested simply didn't do the job well.

The reason is that medical practice isn't suited to going from patient to mouse to keyboard to mouse to patient, etc., etc., etc.

Physicians like to write things.

If an EMR could make use of handwritten fields (like the windows journal program on the tablet pc), I think that that would make any EMR an instant success.

In regard to templates: I've tried them. They don't apply to true medical practice. Rare, for example, is the patient that comes in for only one issue. You used the example of a "migraine template". THe patients often don't come in with their diagnosis. The exact same symptoms may be experienced, for example, as a result of an aneurysm.

It has been my experience that the biggest challenge program developers have in creating medical EMR software is that they generally have a simplistic view of what Physicians do. Occasionally, you get a "Physician developed" EMR...but all to often the involved Physiicna has a skewed view because they worked in, say for example, a University setting (with lots of staff, oodles of time, no overhead concerns, etc.).

Hope that helps.

drjohnf@telusplanet.net
sallen83
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. John -

Thanks for the input. I have talked to several physicians about what we're trying to do and while you're not alone, your views are in the minority (that I've talked to). It just proves the point that one solution will not fit everyone, everywhere. We're trying to be flexible enough to meet most physicians' needs.

We've done the following: for each section of the SOAP methodology, we offer templates or just a large text area to write in. Also, for each item within a template, there is a text box to add information not possible within the item itself. We think that might need most user's needs.

Have you tried using the TC1000's (my tablet also) text transcriber in it's "write anywhere" mode (Sorry, I don't remember the official name). Turn it on, go to any web screen with multiple data fields and ccomplete the fields. It's a little different in that first you tap the field to place the focus there then write anywhere on the screen to send text there.

Thanks,

Scott
Mark
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. John and Scott,

I'm glad I'm not the only one using the TC1000 Very Happy ! I hope you like your units. If concerned about performance there are some things that can be done to perk it up. As you know you can maximize the Ram another 512 MB easily for about $100. Also there are a few sites out there that help tweak the settings of Windows XP professional. Here are a few of the links to the ones I have been referenced to:

http://www.blkviper.com/index.html

http://www.tweakhound.com/

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/

Proceed with caution though, They all advise backing up system settings before attempting changes to the registry. I am not a "techie" but tried to follow some of their recommendations and have had some success getting Dragon Naturally Speaking to be more responsive. Alhough I must say I'm not sure which setting change made the most improvement yet, but I do know that Black Viper's Windows services download for "Safe changes" setting somehow disabled my wireless. Luckily, I did restore my backup setings and was able to use the wireless again. I'm not sure it was anything with his settings or something I have done. Anyway, if you are currently pleased with how it operates don't bother, but some of the tweaks on these sites have seemed to have helped me.

Dr. John, you have some valid points about EMR's and so does Scott. There is no one size fits all. However, It does sound like Scott's product is attempting to be as flexible as possible which helps. hopefully it will be a good price. Just like Ken has posted that he has found one that fits his needs, but there are others that may not like the interface, costs, or being an internet based model. I am still a little concerned about internet based models with the recent Internet attack. I am still looking for a simple solution for myself and hope to be able to impliment it soon. I will say so far additional expenses I have incurred are purchasing Microsoft Works Suite for about $99 to get Word 2002 and Shorthand for Windows for about $89. I have yet to be able to spend enough time to get a system down to capture at the point of care easily and flexibly but I am still trying. I had been trying a 21 day trial of ActiveDocs that looks interesting, but I didn't have enough time to explore it. What I'm looking for is not a Complete EMR for now. Hopefully the good people of this forum will help each of us to find a way that suites our own needs and finances and gets us home earlier to be with our families and takes some of the paperwork hassle out of our lives!

Good luck and thanks for the input,

Mark
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Physician's SIG All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: