Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cases - experience

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Fujitsu
View previous topic :: View next topic  
filmboard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Cases - experience Reply with quote

I bought the briefcase with wireless keyboard and mouse with my ST 5020D . But I want something with more utility when using it just as a tablet. Thinking of the Easel case or the Bump case; any suggestions?
Filmboard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Bitter experience w/ case for ST 5020 D Reply with quote

OK. here's the deal. I bought the nylon attache case, wireless keyboard and wireless mouse; but it happens this is a lousy combination. Unfortunately, the mouse signal doesn't get to the tablet when you use the tablet in the case as illustrated. So, if you plan to get that case, I recommend that you get the keyboard with the touchpad pointer. Anyone want to buy my barely used keyboard and mouse? Or, the attache case? so I can get a better working combination.
filmboard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: In case anyone's interested in the continuing saga Reply with quote

Alrighty then. I spare no expense to find the ultimate tablet PC experience. I placed another bunch of orders for accessories.

Because I already had the nylon attache case (that's not what they call it), and was getting used to having the extra storage for paper files, etc. I decided to correct the problem of having the wrong keyboard/mouse to use with that case (see earlier post); I ordered the wireless keyboard with touchpad.

Since I already had the other wireless keyboard and wireless mouse, I decided that I could get the wire rack for the tablet and leave that (along with the keyboard and mouse) in one of my several studios, and be able to set the tablet on the rack and have a quick way to respond to emails (which I find a little tedius with handwrting, even though I prefer tablet mode for most all other note taking, etc.).

Not over yet. . . I always felt that the tablet was a little fragile when I pulled it out of the attache case to use at meetings, etc. So, I also ordered the leather executive portfolio case (after a big debate in my head between that and the easel case). Well, guess what. The leather case stands up as an easel in landscape mode, and it also has a pocket with very concealed gussets, that can expand to hold the wireless keyboard with touchpad. And for the ultimate in redundancy, if you put the tablet in it's destined spot in the attache case, the leather portfolio case fits in the backside pocket nicely as well.

Overkill? Yes. But I think I finally have a combination that I'm really pleased with, including options for greater capability in for expanding my requirements as needed.

One last observation. . . I had a curiosity when I got the first wireless keyboard and mouse. The mouse has an on/off switch, but that keyboard does not. Yet, this latest wireless keyboard (with the touchpad) not only has a hard on/off switch, it has a fast standby/resume button like the tablet has. I'd like to know why one keyboard can be powered off and the other can't.

And one gripe about the leather portfolio case. It has a hard piece embedded in the spine. Someday I expect I will slit the stitches on one end and slip that stiffner out, as I expect it would fold back a lot nicer if it was a soft spine.

Overall, I can't fault the quality on any of these items. Fujitsu. I like your style. This stuff, even down to the wire rack, is all really top notch quality. Well designed, well thought out, and really well executed. Unlike other portables I've had, including the incomparable IBM transnotes, this is one hot tablet. It has performed flawlessly for me.
filmboard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Definitely a one-way conversation Reply with quote

This is definitely my private post, it seems. But, I hope someone benefits from the experience I'm gaining. I would have liked finding this input before making all my purchases.

I used the Leather portfolio case all day today. As I expected the front does not fold neatly behind the unit became of the hard spine. But that's only a minor annoyance. What I had not expected is that the tablet's fan now runs almost non-stop at high speed. There's just not enough air getting to the back of the tablet when it's in this case. Not that it's loud or annoying, but I do worry that I also notice more heat radiating from it than when I use it without a case.
dchuck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: cases Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great info here! I'm about to buy a ST5022 and was really wondering what to do about a case.

Do you really feel that the slate is too flimsy to use without a case? Have you tried the bump case? I liked the "professional" look that I thought the Exec case would give, and I'm not sure that the bump case projects the same image.

Maybe I'll go with just a slip case of some sort for protection and use a regualar bag for now. I was looking at a leather portfolio at an office store the other day That I think would hold a slate in a slipcase very nicely.

It sounds like you chose not to go with the docking station. Have you found that to be a problem?
Benjamin
Tableteer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: cases Reply with quote

I bougth the exec case first with my 5022D and it is ok but found it to big. I then bought the filp case or easel case and it works great for quick access - but no pockets for paper (which I am trying not to use anyway). Wish fujitsu had a snap on cover that would be metal and flip to the back then I would get rid of the case.
filmboard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: more on cases. and docking Reply with quote

I'm learning to use the Executive style case for the 5020D; it could be thinner than it is. with the hard spine it turns out that it works best (read that more comfortably) in landscape, while I really prefer holding the unit in portrait. I do most of my work in a variety of environments and locations so the docking station wasn't something I looked for (I also have USB CD-RWs & viewing drives for data transfer and installations). I do like using the tablet naked as well, but since I'm very mobile, it feels insecurely "slippery" that way. I fear of losing my grip on it.

Also now that I got the keyboard with the touchpad, the tablet also works well in the briefcase.

I got a used 4110 for my wife on Ebay and it came with a docking station with the CD drive. Gotta tell you; that's also really cool, though probably not practical for me.
filmboard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: well bummer Reply with quote

OK, so its not quite 6 mos. since I got the executive case, and now the little leather tab that goes over the top left corner has split. Which means the tablet is no longer secure. Pretty expensive case to only last 5+ months. I wish Fujitsu would have larger images and more description for their cases.

I would like to hear from anyone who's used the bump case.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Fujitsu All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: