Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tablets in the Construction Industry
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Construction Industry SIG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yvilla
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're saying the ruggedized Tablet PCs mostly are the less powerful ones, with older CPUs, etc, right?

If so, have you evaluated a possible alternative - a truly ruggedized case for a "regular" Tablet PC with more power and features? For example, take a look at this:

http://www.tabletpc2.com/Review-OtterBox-Article020105.htm

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fugitsu, with the otter box has been considered. Actually that was the one I was leaning torawrds. The otter box will only fit the ST 5000 series. Real cool. But the 3 versions, you either get the best screen with WLAN and WIFI and not bluetooth and IR. I want it all in one, then yeagh the otterbox would be the no brainer.

I have called them. You can't get everything. You must sacrafice 2 of the wireless technologies. And they gave me no real reason.

Why do I want that all. Well, frankly, if I am going to go blow three grand, because it would be that much with the otterbox, and all the other add ons I want like the keyboard and stuff. If I spend 3 grand. I want it all.

Plus you can not have the PMCIA air card stuck in the slot with the otterbox on the machine. That sucks for me.

I want it all, I want it wireless, and nothing sticking out. Kapish? Even if I wanted to spend 5 grand, nobody has all I want. Which is telling me why the tablet has not hit with in the feild services industries big time. They don't get how we work.

I don't want to be tethered at all. And another thing about the otterbox. You got to take the fugi slate out of it to charge it. The fugi at best has 3 hours battery life. So let me ask. How does that accomplish what I want. It don't.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone in construction should definitely take a look at Field2Base. They have standardized on the Fujitsu line of tablets, but can be configured on others. Go to www.field2base.com or www.f2bms.com.
cmolnar
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a smaller company ( Mark E. Meacham, Inc.) in MA. I use the Tashiba tablet with great success. It recognizes my handwriting which is awful, and seems to stand up pretty well.

Since my past life is a software developer I developed the package we use at Meacham's, and published under the GPL. You can find it, play with it and download it at http://www.ourworldservices.com - NOTE: It is free to use, but paid support.

The techs have all gotten used to the laptops very quickly and now rely on them for the tech support reason, the interface with the newer equipment, and the record keeping. The customers like it since they can now read what the tech has written, the office likes it for more of the same reasons.
Blindsman
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: software... Reply with quote

[quote]I work for a smaller company ( Mark E. Meacham, Inc.) in MA. I use the Tashiba tablet with great success. It recognizes my handwriting which is awful, and seems to stand up pretty well.

Since my past life is a software developer I developed the package we use at Meacham's, and published under the GPL. You can find it, play with it and download it at http://www.ourworldservices.com - NOTE: It is free to use, but paid support.

The techs have all gotten used to the laptops very quickly and now rely on them for the tech support reason, the interface with the newer equipment, and the record keeping. The customers like it since they can now read what the tech has written, the office likes it for more of the same reasons.[/quote]

where on the site can i find the software download?

Also, wanna come service my A/C ??? you got much much better rates than around here!
I'm in the Commercial window treatments business......I Supply Verticals, aluminuim and pvc mini blinds, and Draper manual and electric shades to Property Management.....Apartment complexes, Office buildings, Car Dealers, and Restaurants, etc......
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Construction Industry SIG All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: