Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with Borland DBE on Toshiba Tablet

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Lawyer's SIG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rajohnsen
Tableteer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Problem with Borland DBE on Toshiba Tablet Reply with quote

I have used Timeslips as a timekeeping program for 10 years. I had to switch to Timeslips 2006.and r I find that each time I run it, and then close out and shutdown the Tablet, I have to reinstall the Borland engine which means that I have to edit the Register and delete five files and then reinstall Borland. Borland and Timeslips are both aware of the problem and Borland says there is a fix out there and Timeslips confirms that they have heard of it but no one can point me to it.

It is definitley a Tablet problem since Timeslips works fine on my desktop with xp pro.

Has anyone had this problem or know of a fix?

Thanks for your help.
Philadelphia, PA 19103

raj@johnsenlaw.com
ChrisD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Have you contacted Timeslips for assistance on this? Basically Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 is a superset of Windows XP Pro that includes handwriting recognition and voice recognition as well as inking.
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com
http://www.pocketpctalk.com
http://www.mobilitytalk.com
Jaymz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with Borland DBE on Toshiba Tablet Reply with quote

[quote="rajohnsen"]I have used Timeslips as a timekeeping program for 10 years. I had to switch to Timeslips 2006.and r I find that each time I run it, and then close out and shutdown the Tablet, I have to reinstall the Borland engine which means that I have to edit the Register and delete five files and then reinstall Borland. Borland and Timeslips are both aware of the problem and Borland says there is a fix out there and Timeslips confirms that they have heard of it but no one can point me to it.

It is definitley a Tablet problem since Timeslips works fine on my desktop with xp pro.

Thanks for your help.[/quote]

I'm not familiar with this problem. It's unlikely to be a Tablet PC problem though, and rather something else is conflicting. Because XP:TE is basically XP:Pro there is little difference. However, I would reccomend googling if you haven't things like Timeslips + Fixes or Timeslips + Tablet PC etc. You may also want to try TabletPCBuzz.com, their forums have enough users that someone may be familiar with the Timeslips software.
tsnorquist
Tableteer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with Borland DBE on Toshiba Tablet Reply with quote

[quote="rajohnsen"]I have used Timeslips as a timekeeping program for 10 years. I had to switch to Timeslips 2006.and r I find that each time I run it, and then close out and shutdown the Tablet, I have to reinstall the Borland engine which means that I have to edit the Register and delete five files and then reinstall Borland. Borland and Timeslips are both aware of the problem and Borland says there is a fix out there and Timeslips confirms that they have heard of it but no one can point me to it.

Can you provide us with the Borland & Timeslips Verisons? If so, it'll be easier to track down a patch to help you out.
rajohnsen
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with Borland DBE on Toshiba Tablet Reply with quote

[quote="Jaymz"][quote="rajohnsen"]I have used Timeslips as a timekeeping program for 10 years. I had to switch to Timeslips 2006.and r I find that each time I run it, and then close out and shutdown the Tablet, I have to reinstall the Borland engine which means that I have to edit the Register and delete five files and then reinstall Borland. Borland and Timeslips are both aware of the problem and Borland says there is a fix out there and Timeslips confirms that they have heard of it but no one can point me to it.

I'm not familiar with this problem. It's unlikely to be a Tablet PC problem though, and rather something else is conflicting. Because XP:TE is basically XP:Pro there is little difference. However, I would reccomend googling if you haven't things like Timeslips + Fixes or Timeslips + Tablet PC etc. You may also want to try TabletPCBuzz.com, their forums have enough users that someone may be familiar with the Timeslips software.[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Here's what I have found out:
Microsoft says that the Tablet system, being a subset is modified bystuff happens Toshiba. Toshiba says it is a Borland problem. Borland says it has heard that there is a conflict with TS and Borland and that there is a fix "out there" but they could not point me to it. TS says it is aware of the problem but "stuff happens."

I think the Borland is 5.0 (32 bit) and the TS is version 2006.

Thanks for any help
Philadelphia, PA 19103

raj@johnsenlaw.com
rajohnsen
Tableteer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comment. Timeslips never told me that it would not work on a Tablet and indeed it does work fine - until I shut down the machine and I have to start it up again. The only way I can keep it going is to go into standby when I go from place to place.

Any further thoughts on the BDE issue? Timeslips keeps telling me that there is a patch "out there" but uses as an excuse that it does not own BDE and therefore cannot make it available.

Thanks for any further help
Philadelphia, PA 19103

raj@johnsenlaw.com
ChrisD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Timeslips will not work on Tablet PC ... ever Reply with quote

[quote="airgiguere"]Hi All. Just wanted you all to get an answer to your question straight from the horse's mouth: No version of Timeslips will ever work on Tablet PC and it is because Windows for Tablet PC is a subset of the full operating system. It lacks the same functionality of the full version of Windows XP as well as has added functionality. Also mentioned was a conflict between BDE and the Tablet PC OS, this is also correct.

The program was designed and built around standard windows operating systems (specifically Win 2000 and XP). Good analogy (or maybe a really bad one): the English language was derived from German but most English speakers would not understand German.[/quote]

Hi,
According to my conversations with Microsoft including the Tablet PC Architect, Windows XP, Tablet PC Edition is a SUPERSET of Windows XP. Microsoft took Windows XP and added handwriting recognition, inking and voice recognition on top of it.
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com
http://www.pocketpctalk.com
http://www.mobilitytalk.com
TabletLawyer
Tableteer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that everything that runs on XP runs on the tablet format. Having said that, not all of the software allows for "inking" but I can always use the TIP to input info. I use that for my Quickbooks entries as well.

I have used TimeSlips on my tablet (honestly, though, an older version of TimeSlips) and I did not have the same problem.

I would be happy to discuss this with you further to brainstorm on ideas. It is ridiculous that you are facing these issues.
Jaymz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TabletLawyer"]My experience is that everything that runs on XP runs on the tablet format. Having said that, not all of the software allows for "inking" but I can always use the TIP to input info. I use that for my Quickbooks entries as well.

I have used TimeSlips on my tablet (honestly, though, an older version of TimeSlips) and I did not have the same problem.

I would be happy to discuss this with you further to brainstorm on ideas. It is ridiculous that you are facing these issues.[/quote]

This sounds right, I can't think of a reason why a program would up and not work on XP:TE when it works on XP. It's possible- just seems highly unlikely.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Lawyer's SIG All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: