Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my new m7 software problem!! please help!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Toshiba
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jprandss
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: my new m7 software problem!! please help! Reply with quote

i just recieved my new tosh m7 yesterday, and i am very happy with it (i find it a great improvement from my old gateway m275), and have been busy putting programs on it. but ive come across a problem when if i go to my movies (which has a few gigs of stuff in) it freezes, and says 'windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close' so i click ok, and the screen goes blank, and after 1 or 2 seconds the desktop comes back, and takes a few seconds to work properly again. the other folders apart from my movies seems to work ok, and if i go to media player, and choose my videos from the library that crashes (but works fine with music) and when i re load it it says it recovered from a failure and has disabled plug ins etc.
so does it sound like a virus, a common problem in windows, or just a problem as the file size is too big? id really appreciate any help!!!
Jaymz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many gigs? It's unlikely that is the problem, especially if it is only a few.

The first thing that comes to mind is one of the movie files is corrupted and basically pissing off Windows. I'd say the only solution is to delete the movies (or move them) one by one and see if it works afterwards.

Now that could be tricky since you are unable to get into the folder it sounds like. You can always go to My Documents and from there just delete or move the entire folder.
tsnorquist
Tableteer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound really stupid, but I've had this happen to me before. If you open your "movies etc." folder in "Thumbnail" mode, sometimes the thumbnail rendering engine in Windows dumps out. (might have something to do with the 'thumbs.db' file).

Why this happens, i have no clue... but i have seen it a few times. Try switching over to list view or icon view and see what happens. If you don't get an error, switch back to thumbnails and see if you get the error again.

Again, i have no idea why this happens or how to fix it... just an observation ive made over time.
jprandss
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that, i think it must be the thumbnail thing because its happened on my desktop as well. the problem now seems to have sorted itself out, which is great!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Toshiba All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: