Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking the Tecra M7 plunge

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Toshiba
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SW
Tableteer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Taking the Tecra M7 plunge Reply with quote

For the last 2.5 years I've had a Gateway M275 and had relatively good luck with it. The problem is the chassis is getting busted to pieces.

SO, I've decided to risk being an early adapter of the Toshiba Tecra M7. Went with 2.0 GHZ processor and 1024 ram. Should be getting it soon and will let you all know what it's like.
ChrisD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Please tell us how you like the M7. It sounds like it should perform very well.
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com
http://www.pocketpctalk.com
http://www.mobilitytalk.com
SW
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: OK. 3 weeks in. Reply with quote

Alright, I've now had the machine for about 3 weeks and am really liking it. I use it as both a desktop replacement and a tablet when I'm in meetings and on the road.
Switching from the smaller Gateway I needed to get used to the different screen size and what I assume is a slightly heavier machine.

Some thoughts:
The details are well thought out.

USB ports are scattered across 3 sides of the machine making them accessible from most angles. When connected on a desktop it makes it easy to access multiple connections.

Things that were missing on the Gateway like a volume control / mute switch - I really just stopped using the volume icon to mute or change volume and began using the switch. It's a silly little thing that saves me time and adds to the usuability of the machine.

Fingerprint scanner security is sweet. I love the scan in place of typing in a password each tiime I logon or wake the machine.

The directional button / on the tablet face. I'm still getting used to scanning the internet in tablet portrait mode and using the scrolling button to navigate. A nice although still somewhat alien feature.

I like the way the pen is completely enclosed when stored. The Gateway had the clip somewhat exposed on the underside edge and I broke a clip while slipping it into my bag. This just exposes a button that allows it to release.

Hardware
I have the 2 GHZ version with 1 GB of 633 RAM. As you'd expect it's quick and normally doesn't bog down on the tasks I run on it. I haven't run any demanding games so I can't say much about graphic response other than on normal tasks and video which is very good.

DVDRAM Drive. I'm still figuring this out. Not sure what the technical advantage is beyond using it for data backup. It seems to interfere as configured with CD burning, and I've yet to burn an audio CD successfully [and need to take 20 minutes to check the configuration all around to see what step I'm missing].

It's a physically a somewhat larger machine, not a brick, but you obviously wouldn't carry it around in your arm to make rounds or jot a stray note or two. For my convertible needs it's fine, but that would be a consideration for true tablet users.
For those seeking to replace a desktop and have tablet accessibility I find it's a good choice.

I chose this model because of the dual core processor and because I anticipate working some with video rendering.

On a side note, I bought a keyboard cover on a whim and really like the feel and cleanliness of it. Not something I thought much about, but keeping crud off the keys has been nice and it doesn't interfere at all with use. I assume it will also keep me from rubbing certain keys nearly smooth.

Steve
jprandss
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive made the exact same change from m275 to m7 (same spec as you) and am very happy with the change. ive found a few problems with it (such as my battery life problem) and some toshiba software issues, but it is a very nice upgrade, and i dont regret it at all. for anyone thinking of doing the same thing, go ahead- you wont be dissapointed!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Toshiba All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: