Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tablets, portable scanners and cameras

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Construction Industry SIG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlwahl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Tablets, portable scanners and cameras Reply with quote

We have a customer who has a need for tablet PCs at the construction site. Two requirements are scanning (at the site) as well as taking pictures.

Does anyone have any experience using portable scanners with tablets? If so, which ones worked well?

Also, what about digitial pictures. Are there any tablets that support internal cameras? Or, do most just carry around an external camera as well. Would be nice if the camera/tablet were integrated.

Any information appreciated!
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really cant see the need for an intergrated camera.

A separate camera and memory card is much more versatile and easier to carry around on site. Any downloading can be done in the site office or car.

I don't know why a scanner is needed or what type of document wll be scanned.

Some of the Canon scanners are very small and light, also consider the Paperport Visionier.

Or just take a snap of the document with a good digital camera
Benjamin
Tableteer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Intergrated camera Reply with quote

I do see a need. I would like it or just a camera that would slide in my USB port. Snap a shot - annotated - save. I forget once I am back at my desk of what I wanted to note about the picture (which can be a few on a construction site).
Jaymz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of scanning is the client looking at? The most portable scanner by far is the docupen, though its only black and white and very low DPI, its about the size of a pen and holds about 100 scans and just plugs right in.

As for camera if the money is good I would reccomend a small real camera, like one of the cannon powershots are nice and small. Then just hook up via USB or memory card...

As for built in camera, only the viewsonic sports this feature.
Ecohen
Tableteer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along these lines, can anyone recommend the best camera to use with a tablet for construction applications. Our people will go out in the field with their camera, and ideally, in one click they'd be able to see the shot, capture it and then start editing the photo. I haven't really been able to pinpoint a brand for this or software that would make this as easy as possible. I am thinking of something like a bluetooth web cam where you could wirelessly see what the camera is looking at and then click to capture it.
Jaymz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the construction industry, I do concrete- and what I would reccomend would be two different things, pending on the user.

A) Simple "plug and play," snap your shots, dock click a button and see all your photos.
B) Better quality digital camera

I differentiate the two because often the better the software the lesser the camera, few are trying to buy a nice camera and then go home and unload all their photos in 30 seconds. Few want to buy a cheap camera and then have to spend time learning the software.

If you are working mostly with younger "computer-savvy" I'd go for the better quality. This being because in the end, if you know computers, the software is always going to be slower and inferior to using basic tools (like Windows Explorer). But if your working with older, more stereotypical contractor-like people you're going to want basic simplicity.

I do not know of any wireless cameras like that, none that are made for that function (most are going to be big and bulky, poor quality security type cameras). Pictures are just too much data to send wirelessly efficiently still today.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i think so... [URL=http://tanningbed.megabb.com]Smile[/URL]
nikiforov-anton
Tableteer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Tablet PC Reply with quote

You can look for Tablet PC [url=http://search.stores.ebay.com/Costupdate_tablet-pc-msoft-case-battery-backpack-dockin-cable-compactflash-manga-studio-autocad-coreldraw-visio-word-2003_W0QQfcdZ2QQfciZ4QQfclZ4QQfromZR10QQfsnZCostupdateQQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQftsZ2QQsaselZ3743435QQsatitleZtabletQ20pcQ20Q2dQ28msoftQ2cQ20caseQ2cQ20batteryQ2cQ20backpackQ2cQ20dockinQ2aQ2cQ20cableQ2cQ20compactflashQ2cQ20mangaQ20studioQ2cQ20autocadQ2cQ20coreldrawQ2cQ20visioQ2cQ20wordQ202003Q29QQsofpZ0]here[/url]
David Callahan
Tableteer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Tablet PC and Digital Cameras Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
I have been researching the same concept as well. I am waiting for the new [b]Motion C5[/b] to come out to purchase for my hospital. This Tablet PC is perfect for the hospital setting and I am sure would be great for a construction site as well. The motion C5 contains a wide range of new and innovated features Heres a few:

- Optional barcode scanner and integrated RFID reader
- Digital camera
- Biometric fingerprint reader and Trusted Platform Module
- Durable, semi-sealed and disinfectable chassis, elastomer coated handle for secure carrying and holding
- Docking station for full desktop functionality and versatile mounting solutions
- Full Tablet PC functionality including handwriting recognition and Speak Anywhere® technology

[b]I contacted Infocater to set up my purchase and order dates and they were very helpful! I recommend you check out the Motion C5 along with their other products @ www.infocater.com[/b]

-Goodluck,
Dr. Callahan
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Construction Industry SIG All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: