Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Touch screen on slate or lifebook?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Fujitsu
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotrod68
Tableteer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Touch screen on slate or lifebook? Reply with quote

HELP!!!
I have been reading lots of forums in helping me try to decide on which product to get.

I have been debating between slate vs. convertible? I like the portability of the slate, but like the all the components that are included in the lifebook. I want to be able to take the tablet from my office to home without having to lug around the keyboard.

I am stuck between the Motion and Fujitsu. I read that the Motion gets hot, but I like the hardtop keyboard. Is there something comparable in the Fujitsu. I don't want to have to get all the external accessories for a slate when I can get a convertible that is already included.
Is there much difference in weight between the slate and convertible.

I know that Lifebook is a convertible. You can switch the screen to either as a slate or convertible mode.

Does anyone know if you can use the screen as touch screen when it is in convertible mode?
Or is the screen in convertible mode can be accessed by the keyboard?
yvilla
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decision between slate vs convertible Tablet is probably the hardest, most personal and maybe the most important decision in picking between the available Tablet PCs. I know, I went through it! You really need to prioritize according to your personal needs or preferences, primarily on the weight issue, and the amount of time you'll be using the keyboard as opposed to inking with your Tablet. The difference in weight between most convertibles and most slates, while maybe not sounding like much by the numbers, is still considerable when you get down to actual use.

Some people learn that they virtually never need or want to use a keyboard with their Tablets ever, and for them a slate is ideal. I happen to fall in that category, and for that reason loved my Motion M1200. But then go figure, I got a Toshiba M200, but only for it's higher screen resolution. In reality, the Toshiba's keyboard is entirely wasted and is merely excess and unwanted weight in my case, and how I long for a Motion with SXGA resolution to be released! But others use their Tablet's keyboards much more, and a convertible like my Toshiba (which is a great machine, don't get me wrong) or the Fujitsu you are looking at would be more ideal.

But if what you are mainly worried about is the trip from home to office, why not just have a keyboard at each location? You're not limited to the relatively expensive keyboards sold by the Tablet manufacturer's-- you can use any USB (or wireless, or Bluetooth) keyboard that suits you. I've seen a lot of creative and inexpensive stand solutions employed with Tabets too by those looking to set up their slates for keyboard use at a second location away from their primary docking station, such as bookstands, copyholders, etc, etc.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Fujitsu All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: