Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comparison to Palms/Pocket PC's

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Physician's SIG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayhawk88
Tableteer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Comparison to Palms/Pocket PC's Reply with quote

Hi all. I am a support tech with a midwestern medical school, and part of my job over the past few years has been supporting Palms and Palm applications for our students/residents/faculty. I recently picked up the Compaq Tablet PC as a "let's see what it can do" trial, and while I find myself liking it very much (especially with the wireless Linksys at home), one thing I have learned over the years is that I am not a student/resident/doctor, and what I like is not always what these people like.

I would be very interested in hearing impressions from anyone out there who is a student/resident/doctor who are currently using Tablet PC's, particularly if you have used Palms or Pocket PC's in the past. Do you find the increased functionality outweighs the disadvantage of a larger form factor? Was there any feature or benefit in particular that drew you to the Tablet PC that Palms/Pocket PC's just don't offer? Is ther anything about Palms/Pocket PC's that you miss in your Tablet PC?

Just interested in hearing some opinions, thx in advance.
digital-doc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparison to Palms/Pocket PC's Reply with quote

[quote="jayhawk88"]Hi all. I am a support tech with a midwestern medical school, and part of my job over the past few years has been supporting Palms and Palm applications for our students/residents/faculty. I recently picked up the Compaq Tablet PC as a "let's see what it can do" trial, and while I find myself liking it very much (especially with the wireless Linksys at home), one thing I have learned over the years is that I am not a student/resident/doctor, and what I like is not always what these people like.

I would be very interested in hearing impressions from anyone out there who is a student/resident/doctor who are currently using Tablet PC's, particularly if you have used Palms or Pocket PC's in the past. Do you find the increased functionality outweighs the disadvantage of a larger form factor? Was there any feature or benefit in particular that drew you to the Tablet PC that Palms/Pocket PC's just don't offer? Is ther anything about Palms/Pocket PC's that you miss in your Tablet PC?

Just interested in hearing some opinions, thx in advance.[/quote]

I think it is all about compromise and personal needs. In school, a PDA as an economical reference tool is invaluable. In private or group practice making a living, a robust EMR is paramount.

I started seriously using PDAs daily in private practice in 1996, first with Palms an culminating with my present Ipaq 54x. I have owned 6 Palms and 6 CE devices. I am waiting for the second generation of Tablet Pcs before I make my official purchase, but I have owned multiple TabletPCs in the past, including Grid Convertible, Fujitus Stylistic, IBM 360-P, Dauphin Orasis and since 99, the Fujitsu Pen Lifebook which is a tablet screen and a keyboard.

For me, a TabletPC is better than a PPC simply because it is a more robust communicating tool in every aspect. The fact that it does not fit in your pocket is a big compromise and can be a serious one. The TabletPC is faster, shows more visual real-estate and is readily network able. When networked, other staff can input data besides yourself, enabling a Triage Approach to patient care. For example, a historian can prepare the history and ROS, the front desk the demographics, all prior to the doctor seeing the patient. Then the doctor records the exam findings. All information is readily viewable, obviating the need to scroll, pan and or change screens. More importantly, the entire chart note is more rapidly available for review, an important factor in a hurried setting. For patient education, the larger viewing area is obviously better than a PDA, and when wirelessly connected to the internet with DSL you have a very potent educational mobile tool. Wireless printing is easy from any Tablet.

With respect to an EMR, I think the PDA will forever be relegated to a good "reference tool," and at best, be an adjunct device to a good EMR package that is, " hardware independent." Depending on your specialty and needs, a user could use a PDA in conjunction with a desktop or Tabletpc application, but using a PDA alone as an EMR is arguably not viable.

[url=http://www.digital-doc.com/C2/EMR.htm]TabletPCs in a Medical Environment[/url]

"Good software makes us think, good hardware and software, changes our lives."
ChrisD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I wrote up a feature comparison of the Tablet PC, Windows XP, Pocket PC and Handheld PC which you may find interesting - http://www.tabletpctalk.com/faqs/comparison.shtml
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com
http://www.pocketpctalk.com
http://www.mobilitytalk.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Physician's SIG All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: