Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

battery life

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> NEC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: battery life Reply with quote

what about the nec for batery life...and when will the resellers have them ?
scoble

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Battery Life Reply with quote

Our spec sheet says up to three hours. I find it depends on whether or not you have wireless turned on, and how bright you keep the screen.

If you have everything turned on, I'd expect about two hours. Your mileage may vary, though. I really haven't done enough tests to know for sure. Third parties will be a better place to go after reviews start coming out.

Resellers will start getting them in about two weeks, from what I hear. Maybe sooner. As soon as I see shipments going out, I'll let you know.
rktect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: battery life Reply with quote

...on the subject of batteries...are these batteries specifically designed to be used for the duration of a half-day, so-to-speak, then recharged, and used again right away ??

I see the scenario where a user starts off in the morning with a fresh charge, heads to a meeting or whatever, then comes back to stick the unit on the charger for a time (how much is the recharge time, by the way ?), grabs the unit and heads out once again, then drops the unit off, then heads out yet a third time, then maybe is done for the day...or in my case where I wrk from home, I'd be picking the tablet up again in the evening to surf or whatever...

...so how are these batteries ?? I mean like other laptop or cell phone batteries, it's good to let them totally discharge once in a while and then give them a deep recharge. Is this the way these tablet batteries are meant to be used ??

Thanks,
Stephen
scoble

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Batteries Reply with quote

>...so how are these batteries ?? I mean like other laptop or cell phone batteries, it's
>good to let them totally discharge once in a while and then give them a deep recharge.
>Is this the way these tablet batteries are meant to be used ??

Our batteries are standard Lithium Ion batteries. They aren't supposed to build a "memory" so you should be able to recharge them at any time. In practice, though, I find Ilike to give mine a deep charge once in a while.

Also, we're coming out with a special battery charger that'll let you charge four batteries at one time. That way you'll have enough batteries to get through an entire day, or more, of working, and be able to completely drain your batteries, and then recharge while using another battery.

The batteries recharge in about 2.5 hours too.
wewlyngc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Batteries Reply with quote

[quote="scoble
'..Also, we're coming out with a special battery charger that'll let you charge four batteries at one time. That way you'll have enough batteries to get through an entire day, or more, of working, and be able to completely drain your batteries, and then recharge while using another battery...'
[/quote]

that is good plan!

Acer ships there higher end model with 2 batteries - which I was very impressed with - however, the price point is perhaps more mission critical.

Do you know yet what the weight is of one battery?

I have not seen any pricing on individual batteries yet.

Thanks
welwyngc
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please ignore the posting above - please delete

[quote]
'..Also, we're coming out with a special battery charger that'll let you charge four batteries at one time. That way you'll have enough batteries to get through an entire day, or more, of working, and be able to completely drain your batteries, and then recharge while using another battery...'
[/quote]

that is a good plan!

Do you know yet what the weight is of one battery?

I have not seen any pricing on individual batteries yet.

I understand that the battery is located at the bottom of the slate - helping to achieve the thinness. When on AC power is the battery necessary?
scoble

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: battery and AC Reply with quote

Our batteries suggested retail price is $99.

They are fairly light. I'm not sure of the exact weight, but less than a pound.

You can run the NEC Versa LitePad completely off of AC without having a battery attached.
Scribller

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: battery Reply with quote

I'm currently using the HP Omnibook-it has an instant on/off button feature that brings you right back to the spot you left off in the program you're working in-sort of like a multi-functional calculator-and it's better than the suspend state in that you don't lose any data-it also allows me to extend battery life in that drainage is minimal when it's off. How does the versa ultralite handle this-does it have an instant on/off feature? Can I avoid rebooting everytime I go to enter something?
scoble

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Standby Mode Reply with quote

All Tablets have "Standby Mode" where the Tablet will start up in five seconds or less. This mode is good for saving batteries, but is meant to be used for short time periods (for instance, putting a Tablet into standby for a day or two is OK, but it does draw a little power in this mode and if your battery dies, you'll lose all the work you hadn't saved).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> NEC All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: