Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compaq Tablet PC and Dock

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Compaq/HP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Compaq Tablet PC and Dock Reply with quote

I have just taken my Dock out of service. It appears that at some random interval the Tablet PC and Dock start a high speed debate that results in the machine locking to 100% CPU utilization and hence user response drops to zero.

Task Manager shows the 100%, no Idle time and SYSTEM.SYSTEM holding over 50% of the machine while EXPLORER (the GUI) and TASKMGR itself hold the rest.

I uncovered it was the dock when in frustration I yanked it out of the dock in this condition and thought I lost LAN connectivity too, the CPU use dropped back to an average of 20 to 30% where it usually hovers.

I was suspicious of other drivers and have been backing them out along with various XP updates but the problem returns unless I don't use the Dock. Since no explicit drivers come with the dock, there does not appear to be anything to remove associated with it.

I don;t know if its a bug related to the dock which has yet to be addressed or just a problem with the dock I have.

Anyone else experience this sort of issue?

I have also noticed that though its billed as a hot dock solution, its pretty stupid and drivers need to be litterally stopped and started to remind the unit where it is. For example, using 2 screens - move something to the second screen and undock. You now have no way to see or reach the secondary screen other than to close it with a taskbar right click. Launh the app again and it remembers that screen you cannot see and put the app back there. Another example is if you run an LAN cable and 802.11 when docked. Pull it from the dock and you loose the LAN connection on the wire. 802.11 stays. But redock and nothing short of a disable and reenable of the wired LAN will wake that connection back up. Docked I have a 100Mbps drop so it does matter to me.

DomG
undocked in NY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new dock driver on hp's web site
Lettsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: docking issues Reply with quote

Sad i have also got a problem with the docking station.

i am experiencing a slow down on the system when docked but the major problem i am having is keyboard and mouse issues.

i have installed 6 of these to various clients and they all share a common issue. the keyboard either misses characters or repeates the charaters 5 or more times. and the mouse is very jerky.

the worst problem that i have had is one client typed a 2 page email and near the end of the email he hit the backspace. this kept backspacing until the email was empty. The same client has a MS Explorer optical mouse. The optical light goes dead all of a sudden and the mouse is dead. you then have to unplug and replug it back in.

I have found if you plug the keyboard and mouse into the usb ports on the tablet rather than the docking station they both work perfectly.

[color=red][/color]
AlexE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Docking station blues Reply with quote

Lettsy,

Thanks for posting your note about the character repeat. I thought it was a problem with the wireless keyboard I use but it sounds like it is more of a problem with the docking station.

Could you post the resoooooooooooooooooooon if you find one (<- real example!!!). Resolution was the word I was trying to type.

alexE
tzappa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Having similar problems Reply with quote

I've also experienced the keyboard repeats, plus my mouse will disconnect itself at least 3-4 times a week (working along and the harware disconnect tone sounds, then no mouse). A fix recommendation would be great.

Thanks.
jtynes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Dock problem Reply with quote

Try disabling the USB 2.0 driver. It is the one with B1 on the end. I couldn't keep my PDA connected on the dock but it worked fine on the Tablet's USB port. When I called in for support, I was told to do this until a new morphing update is available for the TC 1000.
zippster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone want to sell there dock???

as im after one Wink

please send me an email to andy@andyweightman.com

thanx in advance

Andy..
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Compaq/HP All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: