Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEC Shipping Date

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> NEC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: NEC Shipping Date Reply with quote

Just wanted to let everyone know that our shipment of Tablets has been slightly delayed. They should arrive next week and be back in stores first week of May. We're still sold out and none have shipped for a while, so sorry for the wait. If situation changes, I'll let you know more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rbright
Tableteer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: NEC Shipping Date Reply with quote

Robert,

Do you know what part is holding everything up? Is it the screen, or the hard drive? Every maker seems to have hit a brick wall on output, so it must be a common part that has run low.

Any clue?

[quote="scoble"]Just wanted to let everyone know that our shipment of Tablets has been slightly delayed. They should arrive next week and be back in stores first week of May. We're still sold out and none have shipped for a while, so sorry for the wait. If situation changes, I'll let you know more.[/quote]
scoble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: I don't know Reply with quote

>Do you know what part is holding everything up? Is it the screen, or the hard drive? >Every maker seems to have hit a brick wall on output, so it must be a common part that >has run low.

I don't know. They don't tell me that kind of stuff. Sorry.

Ours are only being delayed a few days, though, maybe as long as a week.

The real problem is that we're getting large industrial orders from large customers that's kicking out little people like me and you (and I hear this is what's happening to all the OEMs). Demand from big guys is a lot heavier than what was expected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any information about CNET recieving (or already recieved) an evaluation copy? I've been waiting to see a full review up on their tablet section, but have yet to see one. I'd like to see it top the Stylistic or even the Toshiba!
Smile
scoble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reviews Reply with quote

I don't know who has review units. I'll ask. Personally, we're seeing such extraordinary demand that I'm not too concerned. When Bill Gates holds yours up in front of the indstry and says "this is the best tablet" there's not too much more you can do to convince people to buy.
TomTanida

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>When Bill Gates holds yours up in front of the indstry and says "this is the best tablet" there's not too much more you can do to convince people to buy.<<

Unless you want to try to persuade the Linux crowd to join in too. Wink

Me, I'll stick to Windows. Cool

-Tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviews Reply with quote

[quote="scoble"]I don't know who has review units. I'll ask. Personally, we're seeing such extraordinary demand that I'm not too concerned. When Bill Gates holds yours up in front of the indstry and says "this is the best tablet" there's not too much more you can do to convince people to buy.[/quote]

I ordered an unit based on the positive comments on this forum. While still waiting for the arrival of my unit, I saw a review in the current issue of PC Magazine (see the First Look section) which has very negative comments on the viewing angles of the display. Has anyone who had used the unit experienced such problems?

Also, where can I buy a good case for this unit? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviews Reply with quote

[quote="guest"][quote="scoble"]I don't know who has review units. I'll ask. Personally, we're seeing such extraordinary demand that I'm not too concerned. When Bill Gates holds yours up in front of the indstry and says "this is the best tablet" there's not too much more you can do to convince people to buy.[/quote]

I ordered an unit based on the positive comments on this forum. While still waiting for the arrival of my unit, I saw a review in the current issue of PC Magazine (see the First Look section) which has very negative comments on the viewing angles of the display. Has anyone who had used the unit experienced such problems?

Also, where can I buy a good case for this unit? Thanks.[/quote]

BTW, below is the PC Magazine review:

"NEC's choice for the display left us scratching our heads, however. The 10.4-inch XGA LCD is big enough, but it's clearly designed for a notebook PC, not a tablet device. When held in portrait mode—the most common orientation for a slate—the LitePad exhibits a horribly narrow viewing angle from the right side: To avoid a nasty color shift, you have to balance the tablet dead center or let your gaze move only to the left."

For more details, see http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1017006,00.asp

Has anyone experienced this display problem?
TomTanida

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably deserves an "NEC Screen" thread, but for the two and a half weeks I actually had my tablet, my opinion was that the backlighting itself seems uneven if you are too close to the Tablet, holding it at an odd angle, or are receiving glare from some central light source (e.g. a desk lamp from behind your left shoulder).

But I didn't really notice it unless I was looking for it. If I held the tablet at a direct view at a normal reading distance, the screen was generally fine.

I returned my tablet for exchange because of a particle of debris between the glass and the LCD (it came that way- I doubt you could get stuff underneath the glass even if you tried). The LCD also had at least 3 dead pixels stuck on, although that was fewer than the number to trigger NEC's replacement policy (the tech guy read the policy to me- it was something like 11 total, 5 stuck green, or 3 within 5 mm of each other).

-Tom
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> NEC All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: