Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Centrium/Pentium M

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> NEC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miket

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Centrium/Pentium M Reply with quote

Anyone know if NEC has plans to upgrade processor to faster, battery-saving Centrium (Pentium M) in near future?
scoble

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Future NEC plans Reply with quote

We do not have plans for coming out with any new Tablets or changes to our existing model for the forseeable future.

Robert Scoble
NEC Mobile Solutions
http://www.neccomp.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
miket

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Future NEC plans Reply with quote

You gotta say that, right? Can't let folks know that a better device will be coming down the pike, or else they might decide to wait rather than buy now. Or then again, maybe they wouldn't wait if they wanted it badly enough and decided that the potential benefits weren't worth waiting another three to six months.

In other words, how about being honest and giving me a realistic timeline on when the Pentium M version will be out so I can make an informed decision, because it seems pretty damn unlikely that NEC wouldn't move quickly to incorporate a better processor technology that seems tailor-made for tablets, especially when new laptops from other manufacturers are already coming out with it?
digital-doc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Future NEC plans Reply with quote

[quote="miket"]You gotta say that, right? Can't let folks know that a better device will be coming down the pike, or else they might decide to wait rather than buy now. Or then again, maybe they wouldn't wait if they wanted it badly enough and decided that the potential benefits weren't worth waiting another three to six months.

In other words, how about being honest and giving me a realistic timeline on when the Pentium M version will be out so I can make an informed decision, because it seems pretty damn unlikely that NEC wouldn't move quickly to incorporate a better processor technology that seems tailor-made for tablets, especially when new laptops from other manufacturers are already coming out with it?[/quote]

I can only speak from my experience, and not with NEC, but when you hope to extract this kind of inside information, that would undermine immediate sales, you should ask Corporate Sales. When you purchase hundreds of units at a time, the salesperson fears for his life when the units are obsolete next week or even next month Wink

[url=http://www.digital-doc.com/C2/EMR.htm]TabletPCs in a Medical Environment[/url]

"Good software makes us think, good hardware and software, changes our lives."
scoble

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Newest stuff Reply with quote

We're using an Intel processor that was only announced on January 23, 2003. We're using the latest Toshiba hard drive technology. The latest Wacom technology. The latest Toshiba display. The latest of everything in our unit. Did you miss somewhere that we're 2.2 lbs, which is lighter than ANYONE including these new Centrino units coming out (The Centrino, by the way, was announced on January 15, so is OLDER TECHNOLOGY than what we're using in our unit).

I can't predict what the future will be further than six months out. Obviously there's gonna be new stuff. That's part of this industry. We can't make enough of our new unit (it was just shipped less than a month ago) and we won't be able to meet demand until July, based on the orders we're getting.

So, I'm telling you the truth. We don't have current plans. At least not in the next six months. If you want to wait more than six months, then fine. Visit the NEC booth at Comdex in November.

Am I defensive? Yes. I've been answering the questions that come at me best that I can. I'm the ONLY OEM rep that's answering questions in public, as far as I know, and we gave everyone three months warning about our current model. I expect we'll do the same when we announce our next stuff as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jimpilot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Truth Reply with quote

I gotta say Robert has been honest with us throughout the two months I've been reading about and now owning a tablet PC. Based on the info he gave us, I waited for the NEC and so far have not been unhappy. It has what he told us it would (as much as he could) and he has admitted the weakness.

So go easy on him. Of course one day they will come out with smaller, better and faster. So will everyone else. But if you are going to wait until there isn't something coming, you'll never get one.
benkopf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Three cheers for Robert... Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more - Robert's been one of the few people whose responses I can rely on as I test and evaluate the current crop of tablets. It was his openness and timely information that prompted my decision to buy the NEC early (managed to snag one of the first crop at CDW). He has divulged pertinent information and has been answering questions and helping potential and current NEC Litepad customers in several forums and via email.

Great job Robert!

Ben
miket

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Centrium/Pentium M Reply with quote

My apologies if I sounded like a jerk, Robert; you're obviously providing a great service with this forum.

On the other hand, on the home page of this site today, there's an article about Acer's second generation tablet, which is built around a centrino platform and includes a 60 gig hard drive. I really want to get one these Lite Pads -- love the form factor -- but I can only afford to buy one tablet PC, so it makes sense to find out how long I might have to wait for NEC to incorporate this technology. The Centrino chip promises to be faster and increase battery life, a weakness of NEC's current tablet. If NEC doesn't have any current plans to incorporate this tech, I'm curious why not.
scoble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Next NEC Tablet? Reply with quote

Obviously I can't break NDAs.

I don't see us doing anything between now and Comdex (Comdex is in November).

Why? Because we aren't going to be able to meet our current orders for NECs until at least July.

Our Tablet is still Bill Gates' favorite, and I don't expect that to change until Acer brings out a slate sometime in Q4.

Centrinos really aren't that much better than what we're using. They are faster speed, yes, but they aren't better on battery life than what we're using. Our chip was announced the same time as the Centrinos were. It's very new technology from Intel. Just not part of the big "marketing campaign" so don't underestimate it.

Our goal is always to have the thinnest and lightest tablet out there.

The 60gig drives, for instance, are 8mm thick. We're using a 5mm thick one. There isn't a 60gig 5mm thick drive available. So, you need to make a choice. Is weight and thickness important to you? Then the NEC is the best for you.

Is processor speed important to you? Then one of the new Centrinos is best for you.

Obviously our engineers aren't sitting around twiddling our thumbs waiting for our market to go away. Just that our design goals are different from Acer et al.

We want to be dramatically thinner and lighter than the rest. Right now that's a good position for us to have in the market.
Raison D'etre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Product Discontinuance Support Belies Cutting Edge Assertion Reply with quote

It is entirely true that Intel introduced the P3-M 933 Hz ULV processor on
January 14, 2003. It is also true that Intel first introduced mobile
Tualatin P3-M processors based on .13 micron technology in July 2001
and that, although they perform well, they now represent old technology.
Perhaps that is why, on April 9, 2003, Intel began "Product Discontinuance
Program Support" for the 933MHz P3-M ULV processor.

The P-M represents new technology. Extrapolations from public benchmarks
for the desktop P-M processors show that the 900MHz ULV P-M processor
is vastly more powerful than the 933MHz ULV P3-M. Additionally, power
profiles show that the new processor is comparable to the older processor
and heat generation and battery life should be close to identical
between them.

It is axiomatic that the raison d'etre of OEMs is profitability for their shareholders first and
only secondarily the advancement of technology. Undoubtedly there are commercial
and marketing reasons why switching to the new processor is being deferred to the
future. Interestingly, according to current prices as listed on Intel's website, the older
processor costs $209 wholesale as compared to $241 for the newer CPU, not a big difference.

I do not doubt that NEC can't meet current orders until July. The UltraLite is a worthy
system with compelling advantages ("dramatically thinner and lighter") over the
competition.It seems to me that this commercial success should be an additional reason
to permit NEC to maintain profitability while engaging in a a vigorous effort to transition
as soon as possible to cutting edge processor technology to produce additional technological advantages
and more value for its customers.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> NEC All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: