Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

powered USB (lack thereof), EV's external optical drive

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Electrovaya
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryner
Tableteer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: powered USB (lack thereof), EV's external optical drive Reply with quote

i'm weighing up wether to purchase the EV 3100, motion le1600, or fujitsy st5xxx. so far... they are all good but each lacks one or two things that irritate me. Of all of them i figured the EV SC3xxx had the 'least irritating' traits.

One is the lack of bluetooth - honestly - take out the modem and put in bluetooth! - who uses dial-up anymore?... aaaannnyway - i figured i could just use a usb bluetooth dongle - not a huge hassle - in fact i've seen some really thin one's i might even try sticking the dongle inside the case somehow and soldering a couple of wires to the usb connection - i presume this would render that usb port useless (aw well!)...i'm not sure that's even going to work - but if it does ... it will be my hacked version of integrated bluetooth.

The other issue i have is a bit more of a pain in the bum... For some reason EV decided in their infinite wisdom (or was it Tatung ... or is it just the chipset) that the usb will not have power. I'm not going to complain coz i'm fairly sure i can't do anything about it (but if anyone knows a way around this i would appreciate it)...
I have 2 questions that lead on from this -
(1) EV have an external dvd/cdrw usb2 drive available - has anybody had any experience with it?... If so - can you tell me if you need the power adapter to run the drive or is it able to be powered by what lil (if any[i don't know?]) power is coming through the USB port... The main reason i ask is this
(2)i have a 2.5" external hard drive that i keep my documents, music, movies, etc on- i am able to run the external hd straight from my desktop pc's usb port with no other power required - is this going to be possible with the scribbler?... has anyone tried running an external 2.5" (or 1.8") with the scribbler without another power source... or would someone know the answer to this question?

... actually if i get another 2.5" enclosure that supports firewire 1394 - will that be able to work with no external power supply?

oh and lastly... - relating to the same issue... what sort of devices will/won't i be able to use thru the usb (because of the lack of power)?

This has become a much longer post than i anticipated
I would greatly appreciate anybody's help on these issues as it will be an influencing factor when i decide to make my first tablet pc purchase

Thanks!
-Bry
mconnick
Tableteer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: powered USB (lack thereof), EV's external optical drive Reply with quote

--------
I have 2 questions that lead on from this -
(1) EV have an external dvd/cdrw usb2 drive available - has anybody had any experience with it?... If so - can you tell me if you need the power adapter to run the drive or is it able to be powered by what lil (if any[i don't know?]) power is coming through the USB port... The main reason i ask is this
(2)i have a 2.5" external hard drive that i keep my documents, music, movies, etc on- i am able to run the external hd straight from my desktop pc's usb port with no other power required - is this going to be possible with the scribbler?... has anyone tried running an external 2.5" (or 1.8") with the scribbler without another power source... or would someone know the answer to this question?
--------

I use a LaCie external CD/DVD drive and it definitely requires external power. However, I also use an Edge DiskGo! 80GB USB drive without any problems with my SC-3000.

Michael Connick
Web site: http://mconnick.textamerica.com
RSS feed: http://mconnick.textamerica.com/rss.aspx
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Electrovaya All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: