Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cracked LCD - R15 - HELP

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Toshiba
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atomicgarden
Tableteer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: cracked LCD - R15 - HELP Reply with quote

I think I just managed to somehow crack the LCD in my Satallite R15 Tablet PC. There's this big curvy line running through the screen, and everything to the right and under it is just garbled lines of color, to the top and left of it you can sort of see the desktop, but it fades to gray and lines after a few seconds, but will appear again if the screen is tapped. Hopefully this explains the trouble, if need be, I could attempt to take photos of the screen.

I'm guessing I'm going to need to replace the screen, how much of the computer does this mean I have to actually replace? I got the computer over 2 years ago so I'm pretty sure my the warranty is over. Is this something I could attempt to fix myself? Could I take it to a neighborhood repair shop? Or am I going to need to send it back to Toshiba and wait a long time and pay an inordnate amount to get it fixed.

I'm guessing this would be easier and cheaper to fix if I had a non-tablet computer.
Jaymz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked LCD - R15 - HELP Reply with quote

I have never cracked an LCD before but that sounds like the only possibility here. It's hard to say what would need to be replaced, potentially the LCD screen including the Wacom digitizer. The only warranty that would cover this is if you had the Toshiba System Guard (Accidental) warranty which I beleive covers a standard 3 years.

You could attempt to fix it but I wouldn't recomend it. I have built several computers and worked with several types of electronics and I probably wouldn't try this- not to mention it would not be easy to procure the parts.

I would reccomend taking to a Toshiba-ceritifed repair location only. The good news is you definately do not have to send this back to Toshiba. Use the information in the "Toshiba Overview" and locate a local toshiba-certified repair center. They should be able to give you an estimate quickly, I would expect to be tablet-less somewhere between a week or two, maybe longer (going to depend on where you are and how extensive the damage is).

Yes the fix would be cheaper on a non-tablet. The big difference here is the Wacom digitizer, I have no idea what they run though.

Keep us posted, I hope you get it fixed easily!
tsnorquist
Tableteer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: cracked LCD - R15 - HELP Reply with quote

[quote="atomicgarden"]I think I just managed to somehow crack the LCD in my Satallite R15 Tablet PC. There's this big curvy line running through the screen, and everything to the right and under it is just garbled lines of color, to the top and left of it you can sort of see the desktop, but it fades to gray and lines after a few seconds, but will appear again if the screen is tapped. Hopefully this explains the trouble, if need be, I could attempt to take photos of the screen.

I'm guessing I'm going to need to replace the screen, how much of the computer does this mean I have to actually replace? I got the computer over 2 years ago so I'm pretty sure my the warranty is over. Is this something I could attempt to fix myself? Could I take it to a neighborhood repair shop? Or am I going to need to send it back to Toshiba and wait a long time and pay an inordnate amount to get it fixed.

I'm guessing this would be easier and cheaper to fix if I had a non-tablet computer.[/quote]

I have had several R15-S822's fail on me here at school (I work as an IT Admin).

The screen replacement is anywhere from $300 - $500. We work exclusively with a company called "Richards Computer". I would highly recommend calling and speaking to them about getting your computer fixed. Your screen may still be covered under your warranty (which I believe is 3 years on that model).

I have over 400 Tablets used in the school (R15s, M4s, M400s) and they are our support backbone. Turn around time is under 3 days in most cases from the time you ship the box out.

The number for the Fairfax, VA office is 1.800.969.5355
ask for Mike O'Donnell and tell him what you have going on.... if you're a "Buc's" fan, you'll get extra love! =) Too bad I like the Eagles hehe.

This is honestly the best company we have ever delt with in terms of support, pricing, speed, and friendly service.

Let us know how it pans out.
Jaymz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would drive it somewhere over shipping it. Shipping is expensive (especially when you include insurance) and if you ever have any problems (however unlikely) you gotta ship it again. If you have a place within driving distance (perhaps that place is, dunno where you are...) I would reccomend you look them up through Toshiba (which you should do anyway to find a Toshiba-ceritifed service center) and Toshiba's site will give a ranking to each place. Make sure you are taking it to a place with a good review, otherwise I probably would ship it.

If your not in VA perhaps try calling "Richards Computer" and ask them if they would reccomend any places near you?

I doubt his warranty would cover it, perhaps your school purchases the accidental warranties? Standard warranties would very rarely cover an LCD break because you would have a hard time proving it was due to hardware malfunction and not something you caused.
schannall
Tableteer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

300-500 dollars?!
in germany u pay ca 170 euro, wich is something around 300dollars... i wont belive its as expensive as in germany!

sC
Jaymz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="schannall"]300-500 dollars?!
in germany u pay ca 170 euro, wich is something around 300dollars... i wont belive its as expensive as in germany!

sC[/quote]

Are you talking about a complete LCD replacement though and not the screen-cover (which more commonly breaks).
tsnorquist
Tableteer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="schannall"]300-500 dollars?!

sC[/quote]

The euro is also stronger than the dollar, keep that in mind. From my experience, the repair costs are generally within $300 - $500 for any laptop/tablet LCD screen.
Jaymz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tsnorquist"][quote="schannall"]300-500 dollars?!

sC[/quote]

The euro is also stronger than the dollar, keep that in mind. From my experience, the repair costs are generally within $300 - $500 for any laptop/tablet LCD screen.[/quote]

True forgot about that. Damn economic policies!

Also since Toshiba isn't based in the US- the US wouldn't have any access to "better prices," (normally due to locality [shipping] etc.).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Toshiba All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: