Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Make mirror image of Stylistic 3400s hard drive
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Fujitsu
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TCIII
Tableteer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Make mirror image of Stylistic 3400s hard drive Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently bought a refurbed Stylistic 3400s off of eBay and it works very nicely.

I would like to make a mirror image of the O/S incase the hard drive dies and I have to replace it.

Can a mirror image of the drive be done with Ghost (or the like) and saved on my network storage? I have a LAN connection between the tablet and my router.

Or should I remove the hard drive from the tablet and, using an adaptor, make a mirror image of the drive by attaching it to one of the hard drive connections on my PC?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has actually done this as I hate to reinvent the wheel and would like to use a tried and true process!

Regards,
TCIII
Jaymz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done images but my understanding is that Ghost should work just fine. Technically speeking a Tablet-PC hardrive is no different than a PC one.

The only difference is that since you cannot buy XP:TE theres a larger risk factor (I assume this is why you want to make an image?)
ChrisD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I would use Symantec Ghost 2003 which can image Windows XP.
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com
http://www.pocketpctalk.com
http://www.mobilitytalk.com
TCIII
Tableteer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks for the input.

The 3400s is presently running Windows 2000.

I do have Ghost 2003, but have never used it.

I guess that my options are:

1) Install Ghost on the 3400 and then use a bigger USB outboard 2.5 in. hard drive to make an image of the internal drive.

2) Pull the internal drive and, using an adaptor, use my PC and Ghost to transfer the image of the 3400 hard drive to another bigger 2.5 in. hard drive.

Comments?

Regards,
TCIII
TCIII
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

If you are trying to clone your 3400 tablet pc hard drive and can't get your PC to recognize the drive, it probably your adapter causing the problem.

Here is what I have found out concerning 44 pin to 40 pin adapters and the older Toshiba 6GB drive that is in the 3400 tablet pc:

The replacement Fujitsu 40GB hard drive has interface pins 41 +5v logic and 42 +5v motor pins shorted together (made common) on its connector.

The tablet Toshiba hard drive does not short (make common) pins 41 and 42 together on its connector.

The 44 pin to 40 pin adapter (CompUSA brand) only provides +5v power to pin 42 and not pin 41 so the Toshiba drive electronics will not get +5v and will fail to talk to the motherboard BIOS.

One solution is to buy a different adapter where the traces from the 44 pin side of the adapter are open and pins 41 and 42 can be jumpered together or a different adapter (GQ Brand at Fry's Electronics), unlike the one I am using, that has pins 41 and 42 already jumpered.

Regards,
TCIII
TCIII
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was finally able to clone the 6GB Stylistic 3400 hard drive onto the new 40GB replacement hard drive.

However, after installing the replacement 40GB in the Stylistic 3400, all I got at boot up was a message saying the there was no operating system present.

Well, after experiencing the above bootup failure I did the following:

I created a Windows 98SE bootable floppy and used it to format (FAT32) the Fujitsu 40GB drive that I am trying to use to transfer the mirror image of the Stylistic 3400 6GB hard drive that has Windows 2000 on it.

I made the 40GB drive a boot drive and placed it in the Stylistic 3400 in place of the 6GB drive.

When I turned the Stylistic 3400 on, the tablet booted to the C> prompt so I know that the Stylistic 3400 can see and boot from the new 40GB drive.

However, when I attempt to use Norton Ghost 2003 on my PC with both the 6GB Stylistic 3400 drive and the new 40GB drive hooked to the PC, the cloning appears to go okay, but when I put the new 40GB drive back in the Stylistic 3400, it starts up and again says that there is no operating system present.

What am I doing wrong? Am I not cloning the 6GB drive correctly? It appears like the cloning process is making the new 40GB drive unbootable.

Comments?

Regards,
TCIII
Jaymz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm I breifly used Ghost, only playing around (never actually cloned to another HDD) but my experience was the copy HDD image was a file that would have to be opened through Ghost and couldn't be booted to. I could very well be wrong though?
TCIII
Tableteer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I found out on another forum (tablepcbuzz.com) that all you have to do is run fdisk /mbr on the cloned drive (40GB) and all will be well.

Apparently the cloning process using Norton Ghost 2300 corrupts the cloned drives mbr (Master Boot Record).

Regards,
TCIII
Jaymz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TCIII"]Hi all,

I found out on another forum (tablepcbuzz.com) that all you have to do is run fdisk /mbr on the cloned drive (40GB) and all will be well.

Apparently the cloning process using Norton Ghost 2300 corrupts the cloned drives mbr (Master Boot Record).

Regards,
TCIII[/quote]

Yep they are a good source of information, but they are so crowded (so many users) you have to be careful who you are listening to. If multiple people in the thread agreed or whatnot it's probably fine, always read the whole thread =D

Did it work, have you tried it yet? If so awesome! (This way other users that have the same problem will see your answer if they check this thread =D)
crimson71477
Tableteer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Fujitsu Tablet PC 34400S Reply with quote

I have the Fujitsu Tablet PC Stylistic™ 3400S. How can I put Windows XP on it.

Please help me
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Fujitsu All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: