Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tecra M7 pen problems

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Toshiba
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDeLuca
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Tecra M7 pen problems Reply with quote

Just got the new Tecra M7. Fantastic machine, specially since I got a beefy one, 2.16 GHz, nvidia, 2 Gbs ram.

The pen that comes with the tabelt seems to work fine, except that the button on the pen does not seem to have an function. In the settings for the pen I can only set the button to right click, but this does not even work. I want to set the button as the middle mouse so I can use it in applications like Zbrush and Mudbox (I do digital sculpting). I have installed the wacom pressure sensitivity drivers and they seem to work, but I can not set the button on the pen to do anything at all.

Any ideas? Drivers...settings I don't know about? Pen button simply broken?

If I can not solve this issue I plan on purchasing the Penabled Tablet PC DuoSwitch Eraser Pen from Wacom. Thought I would check here first.
Cheers
tsnorquist
Tableteer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the Digitizer/Stylus might be faulty.

On those Toshiba styluses... you can take a small jewelers flat head screw driver and pry up the back portion of that button. It should snap off without breaking (cross your fingers Laughing ).

Look around in that section of the pen and make sure the button depresses. If it doesn't, then you know that middle button is shot. If it does depress, you know the issue most likely isn't mechanical, so you'll have to head in a different direction.

An emergency stylus didn't perhaps ship with that M7 did it? Sometimes Toshiba sticks those things in the main battery compartment or underneath the tablet in a special storage bin.

I know this doesn't help much, but at least it'll get you headed in some direction.

Have you checked to confirm that DuoSwitch Eraser Pen from Wacom will work on the Toshiba M7 platform? Check and be sure...
Jaymz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would 110% recomend upgrading your pen anyway. I compare using my stock pen to my Cross Exec pen as writing with a rock to writing with a feather. There is absolutely no comparison, especially if you are doing a lot of pen work.

Any Wacom Penabledpen will work with the Wacom digitizers, so you have a very expansive lineup of aftermarket pens which is nice.

I actually lost my stock pen a year or so ago but couldn't care less, hate that thing! Hehe.

As for the button not working that does seem weird, it probably is a mechanical problem unless you overlooked something in the software. Did you try calling a Toshiba tech or chatting with one? Also if th button does depress it could still be a mechanical problem in the pen with wiring or such, it does sound like you have exhausted the software options.

TS is right you should have an emergency pen likely under the battery, or it may have shipped seperately in the box. Though it lacks an eraser and I doubt it has th same sensitivity, unless the changed models it has a right-click button on the side- I would reccomend you try the emergency pen if nothing else to see if it works. If the right click works your normal pen is the problem, if it doesnt it is probably a software issue.

In the meantime it should work if you press and hold to access the right-click menus, you may have to change that in settings though.
SDeLuca
Tableteer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help folks. I have not checked for the backup pen b/c I thought it only came if you ordered it extra with the tablet...but I will check. The pen works fine minus the button. I was playing on upgrading, but was wondering if in the meantime, I could get this pen to work for the apps i use.

Thanks again.

Also if no one has done any digital sculpting apps on the Tecra...it is a dream, like working with a piece of clay on the screen...amazing.
Jaymz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even know such apps existed, I may have to have a look at them when I undoubtadely get bored (looks like I may be stuck with the parents for three weeks with very little to do at work because winter is the slow time for concrete). Sigh. Heh
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Toshiba All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: