Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long do you use it with battery?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Compaq/HP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: How long do you use it with battery? Reply with quote

I have seen on reviews "5 hour battery life" comments.But my Tc 1000's battery life is something like 3 hours. I don't use wireless, no extra PCMCIA, no mather I use CF Bluetooth or not, only 3 hours.
Is it normal, or is my battery bad?
what are your battery usage times?
SteveNYC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Some more questions for you answer. Reply with quote

Mkk,

I don't own a TC1000, but I have been following the battery issue very closely as I consider it the single biggest factor in my decision on whether or not to purchase a TC1000.

My answer to you unfortunately is in the frame of a few questions.

Do you keep the brightness up high? Keeping it as low as possible can afford some significant battery savings.

Do you use applications that task the HDD considerably? Applications that frequently use the hard drive will obvious require significantly more power. Applications that are graphic intensive (watching DiVX movies or 3D modeling work) will eat up the battery quickly.

How much memory does you system have? This is probably a huge issue for most people and relates to my previous question. If you only have 256 MB, you may very well be making use of virtual memory more often than if you had more memory. Virtual memory is where the computer uses portions of the HDD to swap data back and forth when it runs out of physical memory. Aside from being dramatically slower, it increases disk access, which is turn inreases battery drain. If you are not already at 768 MB, I would strongly recommend you upgrade the memory on your TC1000. The necessary 512 MB stick of memory can be purchased from Crucial.com for around $140. It should help quite a bit.

I hope that helps you. Good luck.
mkk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,
- I usually use my tablet with one or two level lower then full brightness.
- I use mostly Excel or Internet Explorer.
-My tablet has 488MB RAM

I think 3 hours is too low for this device, maybe my battery is not good. If others have better battery life please let me know.
SteveNYC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well mkk, I'm not too sure what to say. You seem to be doing everything right. Three hours does seem kind of short when you compare the battery life to what others are getting while using the TC1000 under similar conditions.

I guess I'll find out myself soon enough. I bought one on EBay and I expect to have it on Friday. I have already ordered a 512 MB stick of memory from Crucial so that I max it out the RAM. But I don't think you'd get an extra hour or two from and extra 256 MB on top of what you already have.

Maybe it is your battery.

I am assuming you are on TabletPCbuzz.com as well. Everyone seems to be. Have you brought up the issue there? There are a lot of people there and they are far more knowledgeable than me on these issues.

In any event, good luck!

Steve

P.S. I will post what kind of battery life I am getting once I use it some. But that will probably be a few weeks.

P.P.S. I just remembered something. A lot of people use a utility called BatteryAid. It's a utility, originally designed for the Fujitsu TabletPC that runs a Transmeta processor, that helps set you processor speed and helps lengthen battery life. In effect, you are limiting the maximum speed of the processor while on battery so that it doesn't use as much electricity. The obvious consequence of this is that you are slowing down your system somewhat. But you do get to control it.

You can find a link to the file here: http://www.ncrg.aston.ac.uk/~jamescj/TC1000/software.html#Utils

I would also recommend doing a search on BatteryAid both here at on TabletPCBuzz.com for feedback and experiences. Hope that helps.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Compaq/HP All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: