Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gateway C-120X Dimming Issue

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Gateway
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTabby
Tableteer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Gateway C-120X Dimming Issue Reply with quote

I’m normally a fairly calm person, however, Gateway has me hoping mad . I own the Gateway C-120X 12.1 Tablet PC. My issue started when I opened my brand new unit, installed MS Office and MS Onenote, charge the battery overnight and then went to class the next day. I paid extra for the 6 cell extended battery as well.

When I got to class, I do what I have always done on every notebook I have ever owned. I turn down the brightness to where I can just read the screen, and then turn off the wi-fi. I can last on a single charge for hours.

I dimmed the screen down and turned to the instructor to listen to the lecture and was surprised when the screen went up to full brightness on it’s own. Thinking it a glitch, I dimmed the screen again. Screen went up to full brightness on its own within 10 to 20 seconds. Tried this several times with no success.

Went through each of the power options, dimmed the screen and once again the LCD went to full brightness on it’s own. I then customized each power option, and to no avail, the screen went to full brightness on it’s own, again, and again, ad nauseam .

After class, I went home called Gateway support, and went through all the steps I had done at class again with the rep, then he took me into BIOS so that I could turn off the Auto-Brightness feature there. And again the LCD would go back to full brightness after I had dimmed the screen. Didn’t matter if I was on battery power or AC Adapter.

Sometimes the damn thing would fight me, as I was dimming the screen, the LCD was trying to go back to full brightness.

Gateway told me to send it back to them for “repair” and generously offered to let me pay of for a customized return box for $44. I declined and shipped it back way cheaper….honestly that is such a ripoff.

After several calls back and forth, Gateway finally calls me and say that they are shipping the unit back to me as the “non-dimming” is a design feature and that there is nothing wrong with my unit.

At the risk of being overly sarcastic, I stated that “Your telling me that out of all the millions of notebooks made every year by Dell, Hitachi, Toshiba, HP, Sony and a veritable host of other manufacturers, that Gateway is the first to make a non-dimmable notebook?” This seemed to have struck a nerve and my call was terminated after a perfunctory retort that my notebook was being mailed back.

So here I am with a C-120X that cannot be dimmed to conserve battery life and it’s a “design feature”.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with theirs? Anyone have a solution? Is this a Windows Vista issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Gateway All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: