Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M275 running on Windows XP Home...need help w/tablet func.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Gateway
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krsjames1
Tableteer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: M275 running on Windows XP Home...need help w/tablet func. Reply with quote

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I have a major dillemma. I purchased a used M275 Tablet from ebay without OS with the intentions of turning it into a Linux machine. Those plans have been shelved for the time being and I was wondering if there was a way to restore tablet functions using Windows XP Home(installed currently)without buying a fresh install of Tablet Edition. I updated all of my drivers including the buttons, but the screen orientation button doesn't function. I assume the functionallity of this button depends on the tablet functions being available. Is there any 3rd party soffware that would allow me to use my stylus? Any help is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to being a part of this community.

Thanks
Chris
DaveTN
Tableteer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

It is not possible to get the tablet functionality with XP Home. Win XP Tablet PC is a subset of XP Pro and the tablet setup comes on a second instal disk with the package. Also, the setup routine is tied to the COA numbers on the bottom of your tablet. There is a certain key that tells the setup that it is the tablet pc setup that is running.

Good news though. I also purchased my gateway tablet on ebay and it did not come with the disks. I contacted gateway and ordered the disks for $39.00 and they shipped them overnight. Not a bad deal.

David
PeteMag
Tableteer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unfortunately in the same situation. My daughter purchased a tablet online and we've been trying since 1-06, yes 06 to get tablet pc software. I finally found out yesterday the unit she purchased wasn't supposed to be sold by the Gateway authorized reseller we purchased it from. NOBODY is standing behind this product!! Gateway sold their professional division to MPC in October yet MPC still won't support it. The reseller from day one has washed their hands of us. They got their money and that's that!! I've offered both Gateway and MPC $$$ to set this thing back to factory but they won't. I thought buying an XP Pro cd and installing was the way to go but I can't get the tablet functions working. Evidently it's part of the XP window pro tablet pc edition which you CAN NOT purchase from Gateway or Microsoft. MPC referred me to Mundo Corp who is supposed to have the software but they don't either. So I guess I'm stuck with a tablet pc that is a laptop without the tablet function. I always thought Gateway was good company, I now have my doubts. BTW anyone have any suggestions or solutions? TIA Pete
Excelcior
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Easy fix Reply with quote

Hey, my problem was a little bit different, but it had the same outcome -- a Tablet PC with XP Pro on it. There is an easy fix, though. Buy a copy of Vista Home Premium Upgrade (you can get it online for about $70)... It has to be Premium in order to have the tablet functionality, but it will work as an upgrade from XP and convert it to tablet at the same time. Of course, if the video card isn't good enough, you won't get to enjoy the Aeroglass interface, but heck, that just means you're back to working with XP (basically) -- and don't worry about all the horror stories, Vista is just fine, I've been using it for more than a year, and have now upgraded all of my XP machines to it. It takes a little (VERY little, if you're not using Aeroglass) getting used to, but hey, isn't that worth it to get your tablet back? Wink
Cheers!
Drew
mgaddict
Tableteer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: why not linux Reply with quote

I realize its been over a year since you first posted this, but perhaps you still recieve posts. My question would be, why did you not go ahead and load linux. I have Ubuntu 8.04 running quite nicely on my m275 tablet pc. Took a bit to get the tablet working but once I did, it worked beautifully. The install was the easest OS install I've ever done and now linux is pretty much all I use. Windows7 beta will run if you'de like to give it a try, just download the drivers for the lan card or the wireless card and have them on hand. Once they are loaded, windows7 will load the rest of your drivers and the touch features are great! I have Windows7, Ubuntu 8.04 and WinXP installed on this laptop. Tablet works in all 3. Ovcourse I do have XP Pro and Win7 BETA has all the Profesional addons, eg tablet integration. So whatever your cup of tea is I've never had a problem.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Gateway All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: