Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Powerpoint

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Physician's SIG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitodad
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Powerpoint Reply with quote

I was asked by Acer to comment on PowerPoint Presentations and inking. on the tabletpcbuzz.com forum, there were a couple of posts about changes in ink characteristics, once ink was saved to slide. if any of you have office xp and have installed the office xp tablet add-on, try creating any slide, and play around with inking it.

what i found was that during the "presentation" the ink flowed smoothly. once slide was saved with ink, there was some "pixelation" of near vertical and near horizontal lines, but i would expect that just like in my harvard graphics and powerpoint days in academic medicine. for me, other than for making editorial comments so that i could "fix" the slide for next time i made same presentation, i don't find pixelation to be an issue.

ron, don't know if you do any presentations anymore, but if you do, seeing as you have photomicrographs, "inking" would be a great way to highlight marrow architecture, hj bodies on smear, etc, etc. nice to be able to do it "live" during lecture.

i think a lot of us have problems making presentation-grade slides (we've all been to conferences with 50 lines of text on a slide, etc) inking won't fix that, but, rarely, to highlight a properly created slide, "inking" may be neat. could replace the parkinsonian laser pointer <g>. though everyone has there own preference, my most memorable lecture was several years ago, rehearsed timing for 3 days. got presentation down to a "t" and super-imposed bullets so didn't need ponter or anything, also had a couple of mpegs to emphasize and lighten my rather poor speaker techniques and had some intro music while gettting people to quiet down.

would suggest those of us that still do lectures to play around with it. though may not be top priority, will give more utility to tablet (assuming that where you're going has projector (preferably an 802.11b) rather than having to use outdated slide projector.

ken
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ron
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: PowerPoint Reply with quote

Ken,

I still put together PP presentations for our pulmonary conferences (photomicrographs, etc.) and they've worked out well. (Much better than our museum-quality microprojector.) They've all been done, however, with a conventional notebook. I would love to do it on my tablet and use digital ink in the manner you've suggested, however, Cheryl's tale of a dead Acer after installing the Tablet Pack has scared the willies out of me and I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. Certainly the ability to annotate "on-the-fly" is very attractive. As it is now, I do my markups and annotations (of photomicrographs or x-rays) in Photoshop (using the tablet) beforehand and then do the show later on a deprtmental notebook (saved the presentation to CD).

---> Have there been any other users (particularly Acer) who have had problems with the Tablet Pack?

Off topic, this month's issue of the Mayo Proceedings has an article on computerized patient histories. Just skimmed it, but I don't believe I saw any mention of tablets.

Regards,

= Ron
mitodad
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: PowerPoint/Acer crashes Reply with quote

ron,

i haven't had any problems with crashes. wouldnt surprise me though if there are some individual issues. for example, somehow IPv6 (next generation of Internet Protocol that uses hexadecimal addresses instead of the x.x.x.x format) somehow ended up on my machine that NO ONE else has touched. have you made a back-up of your system?? I think it's still worth trying as think it's a nifty way to answer on-the-spot ?s and that can also keep people awake in the audience (unfortunately i have a low-pitch, sometimes monotonous voice.

only memorable lecture i gave was to about 400 people, with a borrowed laptop with harvard graphics and home speaker system attached to a projector. rehearsed the talk for about 3hours to get timing down. also inserted 3 mpeg clips strategically located (was an ID talk). didn't have to use a pointer, didn't have to play with advancing slides, and if a slide had 5 bullets, i overlayed each bullet so that people kept pace with where i was at. also gave me about 30 seconds to expand on each bullet before the next one appeared. needless to say, everyone thought the rest of the day was a total washout. the speakers also didn't like what i did - i was first speaker of the day and no one was able to meet the "standard".

why don't you try with one of your already prepared slide shows??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Physician's SIG All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: