Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Cliffnotes

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Physician's SIG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Hamilton
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Cliffnotes Reply with quote

There may be some DNS interest in this community so I thought I’d drop of this information to hopefully resolve some of your questions. If allowed I would very much like to stop by every now and then and answer any other questions that come up on this forum.

1. If you’re using Vista you should have 3-4 GB of RAM. For an XP platform you will require 2 GB of RAM. The software will run on less but won’t be very effective.

NOTE: If you're looking at buying a new computer to use with DNS I would consider looking at ASUS computers. Regardless of what system you by, you want a Core2 Duo 2 GHz or better CPU speed, 2 GB of RAM an XP platform (3 GB on Vista), 2 - 4 MB of L2 cache, a SATA hard drive of at least 100 GB although you may be able get 160 for about the same price. Your soundcard will be important so go with a mid to high end Soundblaster.

2. Unless you’re using a Soundblaster card don’t depend on the integrated soundcard in your computer as it is probably poorly shielded. Get yourself an external soundcard (USB Pod) and use a USB port on the back of your computer as opposed to the front.

3. Here is a copy of the manual we wrote for version 9. It’s designed as version 9.5 upgrade manual but if you are a new user to DNS you can download a full copy manual at KnowBrainer.com. KnowBrainer Manual http://www.knowbrainer.com/downloads/KnowBrainer_Manual.PDF

4. Here is a copy of the KnowBrainer Quick Tips which is PDF help file for day to day troubleshooting that is updated all the time from questions answered on our forum. http://www.knowbrainer.com/downloads/NatPro_Quick_Tips.pdf

5. Here is a copy of our DNS 9 Review. I think you’ll find it pretty thorough. http://www.knowbrainer.com/downloads/v9_review.pdf

6. For research feel free to use the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition Forum as it is by far the largest and most active of its kind. http://www.knowbrainer.com/PubForum/

7. I know there are quite a few users of NaturallySpeaking version 9 who don’t know about the Free upgrade to 9.5. Then there are some that do but don’t have time to find a path to it and worry about difficulty installing it. You should always use the most updated software especially when it’s free. Version 9.5 consolidates the code between version 9 and 9.1 and contains a few minor tweaks. The main purpose for the upgrade is for Vista compatibility. Here is your path and instructions - DNS 9.5 Update Guide http://www.knowbrainer.com/downloads/DNS_9.5_Update.pdf

KnowBrainer, Inc. Support Staff – Tom Hamilton
Now Providing FREE (1st 5 min.) Tech Support 615-884-4558
A Nuance Gold Certified Endorsed Vendor
ALWAYS Ask If Your Speech Recognition Vendor Is Nuance Certified
digital-doc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the post and good information!

I use DNS 9.5 Medical on my desktop machine and TabletPC.

Version 8 and 9 are so good, that I use a cheap free mic on my desktop with 99% recognition. It's phenomenal.

With respect to the TPC, you need an array mic, and little or no fan noise and a bare minimum of 1 gig of RAM and really 2 to get 98% accuracy. Alternatively you will need to get a good external mic.

The bottom line is DNS works and works well on a TPC with the right requirements.

[url=http://www.digital-doc.com/C2/EMR.htm]TabletPCs in a Medical Environment[/url]

"Good software makes us think, good hardware and software, changes our lives."
Tom Hamilton
Tableteer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the welcome. I have read several of your posts at emrupdate.com and browsed through www.MedicalTabletPC.com . On several occasions I have recommended your site to medical DNS customers with tablet interest. Please feel free to visit the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition Forum and post in either the computer or EMR forum with a link to your site. Many of our members and lurkers are physicians and I'm sure they would appreciate your expertise.

As a Nuance Gold Var we tend to refer to the “cheap free mic” as a starter or back-up mic. Smile It's generally agreed upon in the speech recognition community that if you’re serious about taking full advantage of the technology you should upgrade to something a bit better. A great mic for use with a tablet is certainly a challenge. We have many physicians using the Revolabs xTag https://www.knowbrainer.com/storefront/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=65 but it’s not a perfect marriage as they usually Velcro the small base to their tablet for portability. We are currently finishing testing on the Buddy StylusMic http://www.knowbrainer.com/ShopOnline/images/KB/hardware/KB0600107.jpg and will post a detailed review.

One gig of RAM is really too little because the slower your system is the slower DNS will perform. This will impact the overall performance of DNS and create an increase in the time it takes your dictation to appear on the computer screen.

Tom Hamilton
Tableteer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Buddy StylusMic for DNS Tablet Users (A Review) Reply with quote

[b]Buddy StylusMic for DNS Tablet Users (A Review)[/b]

Tablet computers have come a long way since their initial introduction when they were too slow to effectively run NaturallySpeaking and included substandard screens. The newest batch of tablet computers is certainly up to the task but unfortunately the microphone industry has been slow to follow suit. At KnowBrainer, we've received hundreds of requests from physicians needing to combine speech recognition with a stylus. The main advantage of tablet computers is the touch screen that will allow you can quickly grab pull down menus or place a check mark in a box. The main disadvantage of tablet computers is the lack of keyboard input. This is where speech recognition comes in. Unfortunately, microphone technology has ignored the special needs of tablet computer users until now…

KnowBrainer has been researching stylus microphones for the past couple of years and the 1st couple of models we found to be unacceptable but on 2-14-08 we introduced the new Buddy StylusMic tablet computer microphone to our arsenal of speech recognition microphones. The Buddy StylusMic is everything, short of wireless, that we could ask for. The affordable StylusMic looks like a standard tablet computer stylist with a coiled “telephone headset like” cord (to eliminate the extra length of audio cable), an excellent noise canceling microphone (that can work effectively from up to 4 inches) positioned at the top of the stylus and a mute switch that visually flashes red to let you know your microphone is turned off. When not in use, this microphone includes a convenient pen clip on the side of its petite sized USB soundcard which means that you don't have to worry about the quality of your tablet computers integrated soundcard because the Buddy StylusMic replaces it with a high-quality USB external soundcard.

To celebrate the introduction of this new microphone to our lineup, we are temporarily including our $50 famous KnowBrainer Hands-free microphone (Sennheiser ME3 knockoff) as a free backup headset microphone.

Note: Another advantage of the Buddy StylusMic is it will allow you to avoid that computer cyborg look you get from a traditional headset microphones and you won't have to deal with large hand-held microphones like the Philips Speech Mic which is well suited to notebook computers but somewhat unwieldy for tablet computer use.

Tom Hamilton
Tableteer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Speech Forum Update Reply with quote

We have added three additional sub forums to the list on the front page. They are the [b]Vista Speech forum[/b] moderated by Rob Chambers [MSFT] and the [b]EMR/Medical Speech Recognition forum[/b] moderated by the creator of TexTALK EMR software and owner of Alma Information Systems. The Last is the [b]Computer Issues / Recommendations forum[/b](in regards to speech recognition) moderated by Chuck Runquist
(Former Dragon NaturallySpeaking SDK & Senior Technical Solutions PM for DNS).

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Physician's SIG All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: