Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issue with screen.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> General Hardware Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purfektzero
Tableteer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Issue with screen. Reply with quote

Earlier today I had a spot just show up on my tablet pc screen, when i realized it wasnt just something on the screen I became worried. Its a small dot (bigger than a pixel though) on the screen. Its white when the monitor is off and appears black when it is on. I first thought this to be a dead pixel but upon further examination it looks like its a mark on the backside of the plastic of the screen (it appears to be hovering over the actual LCD panel when looked at from different angles and moves with the plastic when i push on it), although I have no idea how that would of happened. Anyone have idea what this is and perhaps how to fix it?
Jaymz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of tablet is it? Before you talked about a Tecra M7. If it is a Toshiba (any) definitely check out this thread: http://forums.tabletpctalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3842

A common problem on all Toshibas- and possible on other tablets- is dust getting trapped behind the plastic. It could be a white-ish dust which explains the color, and if a dark color is behind it, it could be darkening it.

However- if it is a dark color *even when* the background color is white- it would probably be some sort of hardware issue with the screen. I'd try calling Toshiba or taking it to a Toshiba certified service-center if that thread above doesn't help!
purfektzero
Tableteer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did end up with a Tecra M7. It doesnt have any of the microphone jacks that the other post talked about, nor any opening on the screen section, so I do not know how duest would get in there, but that makes the most sense for what it is.
Jaymz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right it doesn't appear that the Tecra M7 does not have the mic array. It is less likely it is dust then but perhaps try giving it a gental tap on the side like I mentioned in the other post and see if it moves at all.
purfektzero
Tableteer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant seem to move it and tapping isnt having any effect. It is definitely something on the backside of the plastic though.
Jaymz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at this point unfortunately your only choice really is to bring it to a Toshiba certified service center. Did you get the accidental warranty? If you do they should be able to do it for free.

Otherwise you can always try opening it up yourself but remember doing this will void your warranty.
tsnorquist
Tableteer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take the screen off those tablet pcs pretty easily (screen meaning the top plastic lid). There's probably 4 to 8 screws holding it down under some plastic screw covers.

What you're seeing is dust that has gotten down into your display assembly. When you press on that spot with your stylus, it compresses it against the screen. If you keep doing this, it's going to be a bugger to get rid of.

I see this on tons of my students tablets and clean their screens/lids often.... also when you do this, look for the cross bar that holds allows your tablet to screen to move up and down. There are 4 screws on that - that should be tightened over a period of time.

I hope this helps....
Jaymz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tsnorquist"]You can take the screen off those tablet pcs pretty easily (screen meaning the top plastic lid). There's probably 4 to 8 screws holding it down under some plastic screw covers.

What you're seeing is dust that has gotten down into your display assembly. When you press on that spot with your stylus, it compresses it against the screen. If you keep doing this, it's going to be a bugger to get rid of.

I see this on tons of my students tablets and clean their screens/lids often.... also when you do this, look for the cross bar that holds allows your tablet to screen to move up and down. There are 4 screws on that - that should be tightened over a period of time.

I hope this helps....[/quote]

Hey Tsnorquist do you know, when you open the Toshibas are there stickers inside that you know "break" if you open it up to show that you have (so Toshiba can tell if you have voided the warranty or not). This is something I have been wondering for a while.
tsnorquist
Tableteer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jaymz"]Hey Tsnorquist do you know, when you open the Toshibas are there stickers inside that you know "break" if you open it up to show that you have (so Toshiba can tell if you have voided the warranty or not). This is something I have been wondering for a while.[/quote]

I've never seen one myself cleaning the screens. I'll keep an eye out for one, but I've cleaned well over 100 tablet screens in the last year.... never once have I seen a "Void" sticker.
errold32
Tableteer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tsnorquist, can you possibly put together a tutorial on Tecra m7 screen cleainig? (with pictures)

Thanks
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> General Hardware Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: