Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of Tablet PCs in Elementary Schools

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Education SIG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbenson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Use of Tablet PCs in Elementary Schools Reply with quote

I have been reading alot about Tablet PCs and I am impressed. I am hopeful that the writing surface and portability has alot to offer especially younger students. I find that most of what I have found to read involves use with High School or Higher Education students (with the exception of the East Manchaster, UK project). Are there other elementary schools using this technology? If so, I have a lot of questions:
Are you having problems with equipment breaking after being dropped? Does the immature handwriting of younger students inhibit their effective use? Does the battery last long enough for use during an entire school day? Do major elementary software programs (Kidpix, Kidspiration, Clicker4) work? Can you highlight and annotate on a web page? Can youngsters share the equipment appropriately in small group instruction? Is the wireless coverage reliable in schools?

Thanks
Gbeg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: penmanship Reply with quote

[quote]Does the immature handwriting of younger students inhibit their effective use? [/quote]
I would think that a tablet pc would be the ideal platform for improving our student's printing/handwritting; if our school could afford just one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am about to deliver a software that helps children to learn their handwriting. It allows them to communicate by handwriting and even publish their handwriting in the Internet.

The software has already earned the Innovation Price in the Tablet PC Challenge from Microsoft Germany. It will be available in German and English.

Find more Information later on www.marlonlernt.de and www.marlonlearns.com.
Champagnedrinker
Tableteer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried that power toy that's designed to help children write?
Jaymz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a tablet would be cool for kids to work on, but mostly because it would up computer comprehension at a younger age. Personally as for handwriting I dont see where it will be any more useful than pen and paper in areas aside from the advantage such as for communication or publishing to the internet. If anything I think the pen and paper step is an important one, tablets still aren't perfect. You get annoying digitizer lag where the pen jumps and you get crazy lines (very rare), occasionally pixelated curves/etc, personally its harder to draw accurate lines etc, and other minor issues.

While most these issues are minor they are pretty much fixed by using pen and paper. I think it is cool that we up computer awarness at such an early age, but it will be sad when we lose things that are so little on the outside, but are so important on the inside. But thats the ups and downs of technology I guess.
forelise

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Tablets in elementary classrooms Reply with quote

I use a TC1100 in my fifth grade classroom and it is just great. Students work through problems in all content areas and handwriting is not an issue. Changing pen colors, however, is another story! Combined with a digital projector the tablet has made my whiteboard unnecessary and obsolete. Using the projector I can display anything on my tablet. The tablet allows students who were absent to catch up on all of the work they missed simply by reading through the journal notes from the day before. If the work had been done on the whiteboard it would have been erased at the end of the day. My students have never dropped the tablet and are very respectful of all of the equipment in the classroom. Every teacher should have a tablet and a projector. I can't imagine going back teaching without them.
Elise
jonathan7007
Tableteer

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: tablet-projector mix with students and learning Reply with quote

Dear Forelise,

That's a great combination. I'll be switching up to fifth from third for our July start and I have my tablet on order. I like the idea of one place all projected images or projected ink will go every day. I have been storing homework assignment info in one place -- well, really two places if you count the blog where it's posted in the afternoon. This goes way beyond that. You can re-capture the exact layout of a math solution or a word list on the board from weeks or months before.

You said you use Journal. Is that the TabletPC bundled app or OneNote's journaling capability? Do you index this with keywords to make searching easier? Is the searching in OneNote or Journal operate fast enough to look up the pages on the fly or in response to a kid's question? I know that what I can't get out of the computer in two sends flat will have to wait until the end of the day (at best.)

I take it you let the fifth graders write on your tablet as part of their work. A reward?

Is there a way to clip items off a screen when the projector is attached and running? In some machines the shared graphics might mean the "slides" in Powerpoint are selected will not be changable.

Tell us more about your uses, please!

Thabks, Jonathan
Jaymz

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journal is a packaged writing software, it's kind of like "Notepad" if Word was equal to OneNote. It's a stretch but it is a good program with many features. Basically think one note without the built-in organization.
Jackie
Tableteer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows Journal is the most popular software used in our elementary schools. I like to think of this as electronic paper. Students as young as first grade are using this program for writing. The program makes it easy for revision since you can add and remove space to add more details or clarification. The search feature is helpful as students evaluate their papers for word choice. Research notes taken in Journal make it easy for students to keep track of and better organize their notes.

Older students like to use the Ink Comments feature in Word to peer conference in writing. They find it easier to use than track changes.
charactereducation
Tableteer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i am totally agree with the jackie's opinion. I also think that windows journal is the best software for younger kids.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Education SIG All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: