Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HP 2710p Tablet PC hard drive upgrade

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Compaq/HP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakemd
Tableteer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: HP 2710p Tablet PC hard drive upgrade Reply with quote

Hey all,

If you have a HP 2710p Tablet PC and you want to upgrade your hard drive to a shiny new SSD then you are in luck.

This week my platter HDD that came with my 2710p has been going so slow. Transfer speeds are terrible. I am assuming its the HDD because its a fairly new install. I also did the Windows Vista Performance test and refreshed my Experience Index score and my hard drive got a 2.0. As you know, the lowest score determines your overall index score and it used to be a 3.2. That means my graphics adapter was the lowest common denominator so I started looking to get a SSD.

I searched the internet and determined I would like to get a 120GB HDD. When I opened up my 2710p I was dissappointed to see that I didn't recognize the hard drive adapter.

After a few hours of surfing I learned the SSD for an HP 2710p SSD will have to be one that has a ZIF connnector? Got that?

The connector for the HP 2710p hard drive is a ZIF hard drive.

Now that you know, just search for Samsung ZIF SSD and you'll get some nice results. I also learned that this same hard drive is the one that is used in the Mac Book air (just incase any mac book air owners happen to stumble on this post).

Good luck everyone! Smile

P.S. i've also read that the Samsung ZIF SSD fits the ZIF cable in a little snugly, so as long as you use a little force but don't try to overpower it, you'll be fine. Very Happy Very Happy
adykhu55
Tableteer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have the results been? I have a 2710p, and would be interested to see what your new performance score was after installing the SSD, and if it was worth the cost.

Thanks!
jakemd
Tableteer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Still no SSD Reply with quote

It seems to me that the samsung SSDs that I wanted to get for my laptop were no longer being manufactured.

I found some Runcore SSDs from mydigitaldiscount.com. I read up on them to see about reliability before buying them, and found that the initial shipments from RunCore had all kinds of problems.

Here are just a few:
1. ZIF connector installed upside down so that the correct pins did not match up
2. ZIF connector being too tight, and causing broken cables
3. "humming" sounds coming from the SSD
4. "clicking" sounds coming from the SSD

I decided to wait until the complaints died down and things were resolved.

About a month ago (July 1, 2009) I ordered an 128GB RunCore SSD with ZIF connection. I cancelled my order yesterday after I read a press release that RunCore is producing their next revision of the SSD. My order has been on backorder this whole time meaning they probably aren't making them anymore now that the next revision is about to start coming off the line.

The RunCore Pro IV series will be shipping August 2009 and will be available in ZIF, SATA, and mini-ZIF configurations.

The new read/write speeds in the Pro IV series are supposed to be in the range of 200MB/s.

I will order one of these SSDs next month and try to remember to report in. I'm pretty much positive there will be a dramatic improvement.

Also, Windows Vista does not correctly use SSDs to their full potential without making some changes to the settings (just google "Windows Vista optimizations for SSD") but Windows 7 will use the correct settings out of the box.
wczasy2010
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: So??? Reply with quote

So dont buy it? i just wanted to buy this HP...
cappac
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice any problems so far with my Runcore SSD on 2710p.
I can recommend it. Win7 shows a performance index of 5.9

See http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=30202 for modification instructions
adykhu55
Tableteer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cappac

What was your score before? My score now with Win 7 Professional on my 2710p is 2.9. For some reason it was 3.1 or 3.2 with Vista (I haven't investigated what has changed).

Did you go from 3-ish to 5+ with just the SSD upgrade?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Compaq/HP All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: