Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index Tablet PC Talk Forums
Forums about Tablet PCs, Ultra Mobile PCs and those who use them!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

History taking

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Physician's SIG
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countrydoc
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: History taking Reply with quote

I'm curious as to how many people are using Tablets for history taking. I'm running a consulting pediatric practice, and my consults, especially for development are long, lasting over 1.5 hours in some cases.

Right now, I'm using paper pads and handwriting away. I downloaded penoffice for a trial on my desktop, and can't say that the handwriting recognition is great. So I'd be left with the option of using ink, with the increased storage space that would take.

How are others dealing with this?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: History Taking Reply with quote

Hi, countrydoc.

I recently ordered the Electrovaya Scribbler for the same purpose of history taking, etc for my patients. Should be here in week or so. Won't know anything on your question until then, but I am interested in whatever you and others find out with this issue. I will keep you and others posted as well.

Dlanor Wink
digital-doc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you probably know, you can also search Journal and even convert to text. Those advantages, speak for themselves.

Check out OneNote too. http://www.microsoft.com/Office/onenote/prodinfo/demo.mspx

[url=http://www.digital-doc.com/C2/EMR.htm]TabletPCs in a Medical Environment[/url]

"Good software makes us think, good hardware and software, changes our lives."
countrydoc
Tableteer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that you can write on the tablet, but the handwriting recognition isn't that great on a desktop using a Wacom Intuos tablet. With that in mind, are people using the handwriting in "ink" or are they sticking to pen and paper.

I find that my handwriting can be neat when that's the only thing I'm doing. But when I'm multitasking, by writing and interviewing, it deteriorates considerably.
digital-doc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="countrydoc"]I know that you can write on the tablet, but the handwriting recognition isn't that great on a desktop using a Wacom Intuos tablet. With that in mind, are people using the handwriting in "ink" or are they sticking to pen and paper.

I find that my handwriting can be neat when that's the only thing I'm doing. But when I'm multitasking, by writing and interviewing, it deteriorates considerably.[/quote]

One can "ink," such as in Journal or use "handwriting recognition."

I use recognition in my EMR for words and a few sentences but never paragraphs. I use Pen Office www.phatware.com

If I had to [b]write [/b] (not type) pages it would be with Journal or OneNote.

[url=http://www.digital-doc.com/C2/EMR.htm]TabletPCs in a Medical Environment[/url]

dune
Tableteer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Peds history taking Reply with quote

Country Doc -

I've been a PA in ped's for about 12 years and, like everyone else my age, started out with handwritten notes. For the last 4 years I've used CheapCharting Pediatrics and it is simply a word processor (Wordperfect) with macros that are accessed OUTSIDE of the word processor. i.e. the macro's (templates) are made using the word processor, and they are named and arranged into various folders (Subjective, Objective, Assessment, Plan, RX and rx instructions) according to what the macro IS, and what it does.

I open word perfect AND the windows folders and simply pick the macros by touching them with the digitalizer pen. Windows automatically "finds" the "correct" program and then executes the macro. Using this technology, the only things that I now type in, are the patient's name. A typical visit for URI/OM/Rhinitis (or all three), take me about 60 seconds to press the various macros (thereby placing them into the word processor for storage / printing) and another 30 seconds for both the prescriptions and a printout of my medical instructions to the patient.

For a practice that is not FULLY electronic (i.e. paper charts are still used to some extent), I've never used anything better, nor anything more efficient. You can use the macros in ms word, BUT, it doesn't handle the macros nearly so elegantly and the display and usage of the macros is the key to ANY of the EMRs regardless of price.

If you want, I can sent you a DVD of what I am doing and it should impress you.
Also, you can buy Word Perfect for only $77 US at staples.

In any case, good luck.

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dune,

Do you have a URL for CheapCharting Pediatrics?
dune
Tableteer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Cheap Charting - URL for country doc Reply with quote

CD - Cheap Charting is simply a program I developed over the years of working with children and computers. I've seen the EMR that are very high-Dollar (One clinic I work with uses an older EMR and the other uses next-gen - and paid SEVERAL hundred thousand for the software / hardware and continues to pay royalties for upgrades / support).

At our clinic (Two docs, three PAs), no one was on the technology bus and balked at the high prices (so did I...) and so rather than go the high dollar route, I simply converted the usage of the low-tech word processor and graphics handler and XP's slide show and simply organize the WP's "normal" macros in a separate folder that I open up in a window beside (or usually on top of since I don't need to "see" what the macros are actually doing...) the Word Perfect and simply use the digitalizer pen to choose the macros as fast as I can touch them. The key is to be diligent in creating a sufficient number of well-thought out macros of an organized Review of Systems, then Exam macros, then Diagnosis macros, then I divided up the Plan macros into two groups (prescriptions and instructions). It is the fastest method I've ever seen so far.

I also simply made a set of macros for prescriptions and print them to a distant printer (front desk) via a $50 RF module (also available at staples). When a significant laceration comes in, or a strange skin lesion, or perhaps just an "allergic face" (incr morgans folds - dennie's lines, allergic shiners, horizontal nasal creasing, etc) is interesting, or just to impress the people "down line" who are going to see this record and I'll throw in a picture of the x-ray fracture (it is VERY impressive and I get a LOT of mileage when showing parents to "encoporetic" kids the abd film when they are quite constipated and backed up. The films with some degree of megacolon is "readable" by the parents, and when they SEE the amount of backed up stool (especially if I colorize the stool first), they are much more likely to be motivated to adhere to a longer-term treatment plan than if I simply TELL them their child has a "lot" of stool in their colon and it is "stretching it". A picture is probably worth MORE than a thousand words (especially given inflation nowadays). It makes for VERY IMPRESSIVE records when the record is requested by another physician requesting OUR consult and too by the consultants we send out kids (and their records) to, generally ENT - Allergists, etc.

To add graphics to the notes, I simply take a picture with a digital camera, and take the pic directly from the camera (it becomes another disk when XP recognizes the plugged in and turned on camera), or, more often, from the downloads from the camera into a default folder. IN this case, I simply use the WPs graphics handling to pull the default picture into the default spot in my note (under objective data).

The pictures are VERY helpful in making presentations later. I'll keep pictures of several fractures on Xrays to show parents how common a buckle fracture in the distal wrist is, or perhaps I'll shows them a few pictures of very subtle fractures if I am "hedging a bet" on whether a child has a fracture the x-ray doesn't readily demonstrate. For such presentations, I'll simply use the XP slide show capabilities already built into Windows XP.
The value of a parent SEEING a lesion places it into a context of parental confidence that I simply cannot easily achieve without pictures. For example, a new mom will come in with a child having a hint of cradle cap, or eczema, or a small hemangioma (take you pick from any visual disturbing lesion) and the mom feels that this is a "terrible" degree of skin change. When I go through a minute and half presentation of REAL cradle cap or REAL eczema, the parent is automatically reassured since the pictures are generally FAR worse than her child and they leave RELIEVED that there child doesn't have a skin lesion as bad as those in the pictures they are seeing.

I make three desktop shortcuts to quickly access the capabilities I use mose. One desktop shortcut simply opens up the folder where my macros are (the subjective folder holds the objective sub-folder and the objective sub-folder holds the assessment sub-sub-folder and so on through the diagnosis , plan , instructions , and prescription / medicine-instructions folders)

I've never sold one of my "programs" but will be happy to show you how you can make your own. It is very, VERY easily done and the results are absolutely striking and extraordinary. The only reason I suggested a DVD is so you can actually SEE how it works BEFORE you even buy the $77 word perfect software. I don't think people often can conceive of how good integration of lower tech products with good application can work until they see it. If you understand my description, then it'll make sense and "the the light will come on immediately", but if you're not aware of the capabilities of wp, or if my description isn't done well (more likely...), then it may not make as much sense.

Either way, let me know. It may be one of those "see it to believe it" things...

Gary
digital-doc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

Good for you developing your own EMR. A pediatric EMR is even more challenging. Sounds like you did a brilliant job keeping things as simple as possible and no smpler. I did the same many years ago. I called it Macro Medical Report Writer. I later went on to develop programs in Access, VB and eVB for the PPC. Now, due to time constraints, I prefer to buy and EMR.

I suppose you could rewrite the program users MS Word instead of Word Perfect, not that you would want to in your case.

Al Borges, MD, has a macro program he developed using Word. http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/alborgmd

You might find this link interesting www.emrupdate.com I know readers would find your development interesting.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tablet PC Talk Forums Forum Index -> Physician's SIG All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: